Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is uvita a good place stay as a base for the southern area and corcovado

Jul 20th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

I was recommended an amazing hotel near uvita. Oxygen. So romantic. Wanted to go to drake bay to see Corcovado and all the animals but finding that the accomodations are either too basic with no electricity or too too expensive. Plus uvita is a closer drive from nicoya. Is this a good place to see Corcovado from or is it too far? What do you think? Help would be much appreciated!
Jul 20th, 2010, 10:10 PM

Uvita/Dominical area is a great area to stay. Shelter from the Storm is amazing! I've heard about Oxygen, sort of an upscale spa type of place, but haven't stayed there. I would not consider it a home base for Osa, or Drake Bay if that's where you want to go, but would stay a few nights Uvita a few nights Osa. Rent a 4 x 4 for sure.
Jul 21st, 2010, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Do you recommend staying in uvita instead of on the southern nicoya? Since it's on the way down it would be more convenient but I want to stay where there are beautiful beaches. Thanks!!
Jul 21st, 2010, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi hipvirgochick. Thanks for the advice. I checked out shelter from the storm and it looks really good and the reviews are fantastic. Its cheaper then Oxygen, which is always good! Question though, if we were to go there on the way down to Drake Bay, what is there to do there? I mean, it seems like tours are to Corcovado and Cano island, which is what I was planning on doing from Drake Bay. So, what is the difference? What else is there to see around there? I dont really care about Drake Bay per say, just wanted to go to Corcovado and to cano island. Perhaps to Tortuga as well. Can you get to Tortuga from Uvita?
So, yeah, what reason is there to stay around there?
And how are the beaches for hanging out and catching some sun? Are they nice soft sand? And (i know.. MORE?!?!?) ... do they give you chairs to take to the beach? Is there shade at the beach? Hammocks? Or is it totally wild?
Thanks so much.
I really appreciate the help! Im planning this on my own for my and my fiance because he is working so much. Its hard!
Jul 21st, 2010, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

one more thing, i noticed you put bosque del cabo as your favorite hotel. I guess its worth the price? Do you think staying in Arenal, then at Shelter from the storm and then bosque del cabo is a good trip plan? A good overview of what costa rica has to offer?
Main question is... is bosque del cabo hot!?!?! I noticed no air conditioning, which worries me. And at the price!?!? Is it ok in December? Honestly! Thanks!
Jul 21st, 2010, 05:42 AM

It gets hot and humid at Bosque del Cabo but not unbearable. I guess hot is relative, but our cabin got down into the low 80s at night, and there's usually a breeze off the water. The cabins are set up high and look down on a gorgeous view of the water. There's amazing wildlife there.
Jul 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM

I haven't visited Uvita or Dominical yet, but I've been to the beaches in Manuel Antonio and down at the tip of the Osa Peninsula which are located to the north and south of that area. You should find some very pretty beaches around Uvita/Dominical with trees growing right down to the sand line to provide some shade. I don't how built up things are around Dominical, but hopefully Hip or someone else will comment to give you a better picture of what to expect.

Bosque del Cabo is a favorite of many here on the forum (myself included!). You'll definitely feel the humidity there (actually, you'll feel the humidity pretty much everywhere in Costa Rica...), but the only time I've really felt "hot" has been hiking down on the Pacific beach during mid-day. There are little fans in the cabins to help cool things off at night, and as VG mentioned, you'll frequently get a breeze.

In my opinion it's absolutely worth the price, but it all depends on what kind of experience you're after. I think Arenal, Uvita/Dominical and the Osa would be a lovely itinerary, but make sure you have ~3 days to devote to each location so that you have time to explore and enjoy.
Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:28 AM

Bosque del Cabo is definitely worth the price, and really, once you add the rate, plus taxes, plus meals to the price of Oxygen it's not that different and I'd choose BDC any day. But, I'm also not in the market for a "couples" only retreat which may be a plus for you and your fiance. There's also a nice beach from Puerto Jimenez so some people like to split their time between Bosque del Cabo and Iguana Lodge or Black Turtle. As far as A/C I live in Seattle so I consider myself somewhat of a wimp when it comes to heat and I've never felt too hot at night having been there several different times of the year now. Another nice thing about staying in Uvita/Dominical is taking a day trip up to Manuel Antonio Nat'l Park where there are gorgeous and swimmable beaches.

It's tough deciding...good luck!
Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Ok, thank you to all those who replied. I think I may actually do something i hadnt even considered and just drop arenal in favor of Ylang Ylang in Montezuma. I want beach and jungle, so it seems like I should stay at at least one full beach hotel! And then down to Uvita at Oxygen for a bit of a break on the drive and to just sort of relax and take in the jungle and see the beaches around there and maybe some whales. And then thinking down to Pirates Cove in Drake bay. Does anyone know that place and if its any good? Im looking for something under 200 a night in drake and it seems really hard to find. So, what do you guys think? Am I REALLY missing out on Arenal?
Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:06 AM

If you want mostly beach time, it's fine to skip Arenal. A lot of people go there because the active volcano is really amazing, and there's so much to do there with the natural hot springs, waterfall, Hanging Bridges, and Cano Negro tour. We love it, but if you don't need volcano and adventure activities, it's fine to skip it if it doesn't appeal to you.