Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Stay in Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez. Pro's and con's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to finalize itinerary between Cabinas Los Caletas vs. Iguana Lodge. The lodging is not what I'm questioning, I'm fine with either. It's the location. We will also stay a few days at Bosque del Cabo after the above is chosen.

Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Ok, not trying to be impatient or anything. But someone surely must have reasons to pick Drake Bay over Puerta Jimenez or visa versa? Please?
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:13 PM

Well, I certainly can't help you--haven't stayed either place, just Bosque del Cabo, but how are you anyway?

Really, just gonna give you my humble opinion. Logistically, it seems easier to combine Puerto Jimenez with Bosque del Cabo. . .at least that's what I would do if I had more time. Will probably do that this summer.

Now, as for Drake Bay, for me--that would be an entirely different trip. . .

Point is--either is going to be a great location with it's own array of things to do and enjoy, so why not do the easier option and save DB for later? Seems to me the primary reason for going to Drake Bay is Corcovado hiking and the snorkel trip. Those who have been both places contend that Bosque del Cabo has more wildlife to see than Corcovado! And there certainly is a lot. . .
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi Shillmac --

Thanks for your advice I truly appreciate it!

I guess that's what I needed to hear. That there's no one HUGE reason to go to Drake Bay over PJ. I thought someone might chime and say "oh you MUST NOT MISS Drake Bay" or "definitely PV over Drake Bay" for whatever reasons. Guess they're both just as great!

Yes, as you know it's a 2 1/2 hour cab ride from Drake Bay to PJ. On the other hand, it's $55/night for what appears to be pretty decent digs at CLC or $150/night for Lost Iguana. This is quite a difference for a 4 night stay, especially if I'm out during the day touring. Especially since this started out being a "budget minded" trip. And do I really go all the way to Osa and not visit Corcovado? And yes, I do want to do the Cano Negro tour. Ack!

The silliest thing is...I'm obsessing over what I know will be a fantastic trip either way! Maybe I'll close my eyes and point

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:03 AM

I'd take Iguana myself, it's more money I know but.... You could also go even cheaper and stay right in PJ, there's a place called Choza da Manglar (I think I mangled that). Never stayed there but you could take a couple day trips from there. Tho just to repeat what Jill said, I've heard too you see more at BdC than at Corcovado. But any way you really can't go wrong - I know it's hard to make the right call and sometimes you just have to hope it'll all work out.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:10 PM

I know, I've thought the same thing about Corcovado--how silly is it go spend all that money going down to the Osa and skipping the Crown Jewel, if you will!

But you know, it's all about just enjoying yourself. And there's no question, Bosque del Cabo is its own little paradise, and I'm sure the same is true for the Puerto Jimenez area.
That's part of the Pura Vida--learning how to just relax and enjoy every special little moment. What a treat to visit a country where you can be literally ANYWHERE (almost) and still be surrounded by millions of "moments".

We'll get to Corcovado one of these days. . .expensive on the Osa, isn't it?!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you two! I've got 7 nights total in the Osa and no doubt BDC is a little paradise so I know I won't be disappointed there!! My thoughts were to plan day trips from the cheaper accomodation and never leave BDC while there! And yes, it seems relatively expensive in the Osa for both accomodations and tours, compared to other areas of CR. However, as you and others have pointed out, there are some accomodations that are affordable.

I'm gonna check a few more logistics out and make my decision this weekend
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Good idea to try to get the most out of your time at BdC and plan excursions from less expensive lodging.
Enjoy!

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:44 AM

I know it's hard to make a decision sometimes. Last year I agonized over where I would stay for 3 nights on the Osa before hitting BdC. I finally decided on LookOut Inn in Carate (right by Corcovado). In the end, I wasn't entirely 100% happy with my decision. I didn't have an awful time, just not the really what I expected. But I had 6 nights at BdC and soon forgot all about it! So now this year I'm trying the other place that I decided against last year (Playa Nicuesa) before BdC and hope it will turn out a little better. So sometimes it's just a toss-up and you just hope it turns out well. I do agree with doing any day trips you want before you get to BdC - once I get there I tend to rarely leave the property! Let us know what you decide.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:49 AM

oh and hey jill! I was freaking the cats out yesterday by playing "our" costa rica cd The congo's especially freak them out I was just trying to relive the BdC "alarm clock".
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:16 AM

tully, isn't Playa Nicuese very expensive for day trips? Can you tell me WHICH day trips?? CNP?

Does anyone know HOW far(distance/time) it is from BdC to CNP? What is the difference bn BdC and CNP?
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am spending 3 days at Playa Nicuesa then 5 days at Bosque. I was telling hipvirgochick that if she wanted to stay at Iguana Lodge, it's closer to PJ and would be the best place to do any day trips from.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:43 PM

To actually get into the park from Drake bay you will have to take a boat around to the entrance.

From Puerto Jimenez a taxi.

One of our first trips to that area we stayed at one of the tent camps in Carate and walked down to the La Leona entrance. A long very hot walk. The treefall in the park was so bad we had to turn around for fear of getting lost because the trail was almost nonexistent. Staying at one of the tent camps or lodges on the edge are just as good in my opinion. The animals don't know where the boundries are. A local guide would probably be a help. A horseback riding trip from Puerto Jimenez is a good way to get into the forest. If you want to see the wonderful wildlife of Cabo Matapalo there are hiking tours from PJ that you can take.

I just felt like I had more freedom of movement in PJ because it is a town- albeit a small one. Drake Bay doesn't really have a "town" but is a pretty area. Do be warned that the taxis in PJ are very expensive.

To say one is better than the other is hard because they each have a good reason for going to them.

Not really a help, I know. You will just have to look at what each place offers and choose what would more interest you.

Drake Bay is on a different side of the Osa from BdC so will have some distinct differences.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:19 PM

Suzie2,hipvirgochick pointed out to me that we are having somewhat the same dilemna on another thread. We have decided to split the 7 nights into 3 at Corcovado Adventure Tent Camp(DB side);boat through mangrove before arriving to campsite,horseback,Cano snorkel,hike Corcovado..(boat to park entrance from campsite).After the 3 days, taxi from DB to Jiminez(1 1/2 hr ride for about $100US) and picked up by Bosque del Cabo.During the 4 nights, we will hike the trails,surf,tree top canopy,water rapel,hike some more and fish for perhaps a half day. From what I understand, most of these actgivities are only 10 minutes away from
BdC. From reading all the reviews of BdC,sounds like good recommendation NOT to do day trips from here(Thanks Tully and others)
All of this will be prefaced by a 3 day Pacuare Raft from SJ,then fly to the Osa. All in all, we will experience adrenaline,wet waters(fresh and salt),screaming,rainforests,food and people!
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Sounds like a good combo.

You will most likely have to go to PJ for the fishing boat but there is certainly a chance for the big one! We have caught tuna, sail, wahoo, and a few others out of that area. I caught the wahoo and it was even more fun than a sail.

Many of the day trips from Bosque are great. It really isn't a matter of don't do them but you do need to keep in mind that they will involve the taxi (or Kevin) ride to and from PJ and will add significantly to the cost. If any of you are fairly strong, Escondido Trex will bring kayaks up to the coast near Bosque to go out into the Gulfo Dulce. The mangrove kayaking out of PJ does take you out briefly into the GD but it isn't too bad and if you are lucky and go out mid afternoon you may get to kayak with the dolphins as they follow the Croc Bay boats back in. It is tide dependent. They do have a tide schedule at Bosque so you will know when it is okay to hike down the Pacific Trail.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the heads up Suzie2...any idea in cost and time to head into PJ-BdC for fishing? Does one hire a taxi?or does BdC offer this service? Is there a 'best'time during the day to go fishing?
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Most fishing trips go out very early.

Bosque can help with all of the arrangements.

I haven't done the trip the last couple of times we were at Bosque because we did them from a little birding lodge not far from PJ. The cost of gas may have caused the prices to go up but I seem to recall that it was about $45 round trip by taxi. Bosque has $25 pp rt listed on their web site for their transportation which may reflect more current prices.

Don't be shy about writing to Leo and asking so you can plan your budget. They are very nice people in the office.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:48 PM

Tully, I came across the CD the other day too--had forgotten about it! Isabelle loves the congos--and the other sounds as well. occasionally, I'll play it for hours while I'm not doing much around the house. Almost as good. . .! I can imagine your cats being a little skittish!