CR - Drake Bay lodging

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CR - Drake Bay lodging

Hi,
We are visiting BdC in February - yay!
We are also planning on spending a few days at Drake Bay and are choosing between Cabinas Las Caletas and Jinetes de Osa. We want a beachside place to relax for awhile. WE are 2 adults and 2 mellow tween girls. Definitely want a great view, don't care about fancy. I'd love to hear any opinions! Thanks,
Annie
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 04:31 AM

www.jinetesdeosa.com

best facility also

Cano Island diving/snorkeling

best beach...
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM

qw,
I'm now quite conflicted after doing additional research on Osa. I originally was sold on staying at Bosque del Cabo, but it is so expensive and seems like it would be a place that we would just want to stay put.

I'm now thinking that we might enjoy a stay at Drake Bay more. The other places we want to visit are Monteverde and Arenal.

Have you been to BdC and if you could only stay there or Jinetes de Osa, which would you chose for a 3-4 night stay?
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM

I'd never pass up an opportunity to stay at Bosque del Cabo. Haven't been to DB yet, and am sure we will love it, but doubt it would outshine BdC, at least in our eyes.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 03:46 PM

I also haven't stayed at Jinetes de Osa, but BDC wins every time for me.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM

Shill and HP,
I was totally convinced that BdC was where I wanted to stay and then I read a couple of reviews on Trip Advisor that really turned my stomach.

One said they were covered up by roaches and they crawled on their arms at night. They checked out early and found roaches in their suitcases when they got to the new lodge.

The other talked about an army of those huge ants in their room (1000+) that did not go away.

I realize this is the jungle and bugs are a part of that, I just freak out at the thought of them crawling on me when I sleep. I also read that you are kind of nickle and dimed for every extra thing...and it is so pricey already.

One of the things that kind of interested me about Drake Bay is the easy access to Corcovado, the beach and snorkeling at Cano Island. I just sprained my foot recently and I'm not sure how soon it will be up for strenuous hikes to the beach or anywhere else for that matter.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 07:56 PM

Well I can certainly understand your concern about bugs, last I checked the TA rave reviews WAY outnumbered the positive. Having stayed 17 nights now in different trips I can say I never had a negative experience.

That said I'm sure there are many great places to stay in Drake Bay. I'm checking out Aguila de Osa in a few months on 4 nights for 3 deal, plus 4 nights BDC.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 08:31 PM

We have 23 nights there, and no such experience. Furthermore, we have never encountered anyone else claiming such a thing. Sure, there have been bug encounters, but nothing memorable from inside the cabin. Every now and then there is a scorpion story, but even those are rare, and there isn't anywhere on the Osa where one can avoid that possibility.

Many of us on this board are connected with a large number of people who frequent various hotels in Costa Rica, Bosque being one of the most popular. We just don't come across these types of stories. It is true, on the other hand, that there have been a couple of disgruntled guests (and I mean a couple) who have intentionally left horrible reviews without much credibility. These types of reviews are more likely to appear on Trip Advisor, it seems. You've got to take into consideration that, out of the thousands and thousands of people who might stay at a popular lodge, someone is going to come away unhappy occasionally. Not every place is for everyone!

As far as being nickled and dimed, I would also disagree with that. Yes, bar tab is extra, and prices are reasonable. Items in the gift shop (t-shirts, etc) are reasonably priced. Activities requiring a guide are generally much less than one would pay elsewhere. Where else in the country can you have a great morning of riding horseback through the forest and on the beach with a true "Osa man" for $35? It always seemed the opposite to me--that owners intentionally try to make the extras less costly rather than more so.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 04:08 AM

I agree with the othes, out of 193 reviews,7 of them are poor, and as shillmac mentioned I know a lot of the backstories to those and ..... well, I'll just say the owners chose great restraint in not responding, instead letting their stellar reviews stand on their own. After so many stays there I find the roaches crawling all over you thing hard to imagine. One person actually left early once due to "too many animals" which was a complaint but I thought was great advertising, lol. The army ants incident did happen though, but not sure what there is to do. If you've ever seen them - there are millions of them in a column and they have a path to follow, whether it's over a log, across a road or thru your house (or cabina). The only thing to do is what every one does, let them pass, they'll be gone in a day.

If you do want a lot of ants or roaches in the jungle, not just Bosque but anywhere, try to outwit them and you will usually find you're on the losing side! I did manage with some candy once, double-bagged, then in hefty bag then zipped up in a secret pouch in my duffle, but a lot of work! The last time I was there in Nov I did briefly have ants - some tums in a ziplock baggie was found, but after I trashed the I had no more visits. There isn't really anywhere on the Osa where you will find a sterile place with absolutely no bugs, and I'd focus on all the positive trip reports here at fodors and at TA

Overall I find the pricing at Bosque one of the best deals in CR. Not many places you can stay in a beautiful cabina, 3 meals a day and 1000 acres full of well-kept trails to explore with animals stopping by your cabina of a regular basis for photo-ops. Most excursions run about $40 and up, so to have access to the trails and grounds is what really makes it 'cheap' for me.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Thanks hip, shill and tully,
You've allayed my fears. I sent a note with my dates last month and Leonardo said there are cabinas available. I would much prefer one of the deluxe cabinas because my husband and I have difficulty sleeping in a double bed. I know they won't guarantee specific room requests, but do any of you have particular favorites in the deluxe category? Since you are repeaters, I guess you may have stayed in several different locations. I know the rates include three meals, but are taxes also included? I'm under the impression that there are some sort of drinks and snacks available at no charge. Is that correct? From what I've read I'm hoping that the only additional charges will be for alchoholic beverages, excursions and airport transfers.

Oh...one more thing. Have any of you snorkeled while there? The literature says the hike to the beach is rather steep. I tend to get a little nervous on steep hikes because I have a habit of slipping. I do better going up than going down. I know that seems backwards. LOL

tully,
I love your comment regarding the complaint about too many animals. That would never be a problem for me and animal spotting is one of the main reasons I chose that area. Of course I don't feel quite the same way about bugs as you have already heard!

Thanks to all for your help!
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Deb, bugs aren't really much of a problem. How are you with spiders? There are some pretty good sized ones, not big hairy types, but what I call Charlottes--large and pretty darned good lookin'! They are harmless, but hang around in the foliage outside the cabins. Sometimes there are quite a few. There was a time when that would not have settled well with me at all; it's weird, but I've come to appreciate these golden orbed beauties and don't mind them at all. At least they mind their manners in their webs (wrapping insects and eating their husbands) and aren't crawling around here and there.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM

I'm glad you've changed your mind! Well I go between these 2 as my faves - Congo and Lapa. When I stayed in Lapa in Nov they had just finished remodeling it with an even bigger deck and still great view. During that time Congo was under complete renovation , they re-did the deck, moved the bathroom and outdoor shower to the opposite side. So, for the views alone those 2 are my favourites and both remodeled to boot. I liked Tucan as well, it doesn't have the overhang deck but does have a nice stone patio. Mariposa is nice as well, it has an outdoors tub (as does Tucan) with a stone patio as well, it abuts the forest.

Yes all your taxes are included. So is water, they have big jugs at the bar you can refill at, coffee and teas and little snacks in the afternoons, like cookies, brownies etc. You may want to budget in a little extra for tips as well. They are not required of course, but always nice and they always go above and beyond to make you happy.

You sound like you definitely will need a walking stick if you do the Golfo Dulce trail, that is the one that leads you to the 3 beaches. They are right by the entry and are really nice sturdy ones. The trail isn't steep as in you're going to fly right down, but you just have to watch your step a few times as a good portion of it is going down. I took my bad-knees dad there a couple years ago and he did just fine on it, couldn't believe when we made it down just under an hour (it's another 45 minutes or so to walk along the beach access road, visiting briefly the 2 rougher beaches before stopping at the calmer 3rd one). Never tried snorkeling there, I don't thing it would be very good, probably lots of silt. But buy does it feel good to jumo into!

The animals will be easy, a good majority of stuff I've seen has come from 3 of the easiest places - around my cabina, from the restaurant area (especially early around 6-7am) and my fave trail of all - the driveway. And don't worry about the bugs, you do get somewhat used to them, the little moths, ants here and there etc. In all my stays there I only had 1 little run in with something, didn't have my contacts in so no idea what it was. It was the middle of the night and it was on the floor in my way to the bathroom so I just golf-swinged it out the door with the umbrella. I'm usually bugphobic but down there I get a 'oh whatever' mood. (at least until shillmac comes along and blows my sleeping technique )

You will have a great time, no worries.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 04:41 PM

Yes shillmac, eating their husbands lol. You were vey good with all those Charlottes above you. We should've filmed that 'trick' with the spiders and a piece of debris, I think we kept forgetting, imagine that! Btw shillmac can tell you about not keeping food in your room!! Good old Jack
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 05:28 PM

shillmac,
Spiders don't bug me near as much as ants and roaches. We've actually had some of those big pretty spiders that would build new webs every night and then leave in the morning. We named them Sammy. They would come back every day and it was fascinating to watch them build their web.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 11:33 PM

Deb, we've stayed in Tucan, and it's a great cabin. From the front porch, I saw capuchins, howlers, spider monkeys, and scarlet macaws. It must be on some kind of monkey trail. We loved the two big loungers out front and the view of the water. Best part for me was the outdoor tub - seemed like a real treat in the jungle. I don't think I saw a single roach while we were there.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 04:11 AM

Deb, you're good to go!

Tully, it might be helpful to other posters if you would describe your sleeping technique--referring to the netting and the tucking and the nightly ritual!

Deb and others: Just a reminder--don't go to the Friday evening market in Matapalo (down by the beach), buy a big bag of granola (to transport home), and keep it in your zipped backpack! Unless you want visitors. . . .and a mess! And the Tums. . .keep them under lock and key. After eating all that granola, Jack had need for Tums.

Seriously, food in the cabinas, not a good idea. The pizotes (coatis), little raccoon like animals with extreme breaking and entering talent, work very hard to get at that stuff! Not when you are around mind you. . .little suckers slip in while you are out and about. Or can. We've stayed 6-7 times, had that problem twice. It doesn't help to go off and leave the door open!
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 05:25 AM

Tully gave me the tip about how to keep food in your cabin, so I had a bag of granola in a double Ziplock bag and put it up high on a shelf - it worked for us! I think maybe we just got lucky though!
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM

The only deluxe I've stayed in is Gecko, which was great. They all have wonderful views as they're sort of in a row (with space between them) along the bluff. I actually prefer the Pizote standard cabina because it seems more "woodsy" and also since I usually just travel by myself or with my tween (now teen, yikes!) having double beds works better for us. Upcoming trip will have Sol, which is next to Pizote and Jill's favorite because of the view from the outdoor shower.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM

I love those little red ants. It's like having a dog. They clean up everything you drop and cart it away.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 11:19 AM

shooie -- They also seemed to want my rubber band for some purpose. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -