Search

Resort in Drake or Jiminez?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resort in Drake or Jiminez?

I am trying to decide between Resort in Drake Bay or Jiminez area such as osque, Iquana or Parrot??? They all sound fantastic ! Any advice?
thanks,
Nicole
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:28 PM

If you do a search on Bosque and Iguana I think you will find some information. Actually I have been communicated vis email with both because we are also thinking of going there. If you email the owners of Iguana they will email you back very complete and gracious replies. They have the former Lapa Rios chef. Bosque is in Matapalo a bumpy forty five minute ride from Puerto Jimenez but supposed to have great wildlife.Parrot Bay is a little outside the main area of Puerto. They have also been very good about answering questions.Iguana looks like it is on a beautiful beach. The owner said it is a ten dollar cab ride town,I think but there isn't much there.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:40 AM

We spent three nights at Aguila de Osa on the Drake Bay side of the Osa this past February. We decided on this side because of the snorkeling at Cano Island and a chance to swim with the dolphins. We also hiked at Corcavado Park. Getting to the resort is half the fun. Fly into Palmar Sur, get in a taxi for a bumpy ride to Sierpe. Down the Sierpe River, through the surf and down the coastline to Drake Bay.

The resort itself was lovely. Decent szied rooms, very good food, and very nice people.

Not on a beach, but there is one within walking distance. Also a VERY small town with a couple of bars you can wander to.

The setting is stunning as were the views. Hope to get back some day.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:29 AM

Having stayed in Drake Bay, Iguana, and Bosque, my favorite is Bosque because of the beauty of the place and the amazing wildlife. There is tons of room to just roam around looking at things. It is a long bumpy ride to get to it but there are monkeys and other things to see on the way.

They are all good places. I have been staying at Iguana or their other place next door (Pearl of the Osa) after my husband leaves so I can have my beach time (I grew up near the beach and he doesn't like it so it works out great). Toby and Lauren are a very nice couple with two young teens and have done a wonderful job of expanding the lodge. Their Chef was trained by the Lapa Rios Chef from what I understand. Jose just cooks dinner and it is served upstairs in the main rancho by candlelight buffet style. Breakfast is cooked by a different person and lunch is quite often next door at the Pearl (good food there also but very american).
Regarding Parrot Bay....would not be my first choice. It is right near the pier and town and I wouldn't really want to swim there. The town isn't much and the other choices offer much nicer settings.
Drake Bay does offer some nice things to see and do like the snorkeling over at Cano. It is a nice little area and as Jean mentioned, the trip there is fun along the Sierpe. I have heard that some disputes have been settled and you can fly directly into Drake Bay but don't know much about it. Either Aguila or La Paloma would be lovely choices there. Another option to add to your confusion would be Casa Corcovado. You would actually go through the Bay and out into the Pacific to get around to this Lodge. I have not stayed there but have heard great things about it and if I do go back to that area would seriously think about staying there myself.
If you want more specific info on Bosque, Iguana, or La Paloma I would be more than glad to tell you.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 03:35 PM

Dear Suzie2, Thansk for answering this question as you answered another one I had. I couldn't figure out why you went to Iguana after Bosque. Now that we have decided to drive I think we might try and do both. I love the wildlife at Bosque and Lauren wrote me a very gracious and long note being honest that there really isn't that much right there but the beach sounds terrific and so does the food. I assume we can be flexible because they both had space available and it surely must be low, low, season there now. I also recevied a kind email from Tom at Escondid Trex regarding the roads. Did you ever do the gold panning trip? I know it sounds incredibly touristy but my husband is a serious coin collector and I know he would love it. Did you do any of Iguana's trips? We are thinking of doing kayaking at Bosque if weather is decent.Thanks again
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:27 PM

If you go to Iguana I would do the kayaking trip through the mangroves with Tom over at Escondido. He is very knowledgeable. He is also developing a new place that sounds pretty with lots of gardens. Escondido is just up the road from Iguana. He is one of several Ohioans in that area which is where I am from. Another option would be to do his kayak trip from Bosque as you will have a car and getting to and from would be cheaper than taxi. You could then go down to the Pearl of the Osa for lunch (it is public and they have a bar) and while there check out Iguana to see if it is what you are looking for.
While down there I would try to take a day trip (horseback-weather permiting) with Abraham. He and his wife own a place about 45 mins from Pto Jimenez towards the center of the Gulf called Bosque del Rio Tigre. He is an amazing guide.
Haven't done the gold panning trip from Iguana so can't tell you anything about it. I have seen gold that was taken from the Carate river so the Iguana day trip to the other river could net you some.
From Bosque del Cabo you could go waterfall rapelling with Joel (greenpeace captain) who with his wife Belen owns a place next door to Bosque d Cabo. As was mentioned on another reply, there is the sea kayaking, and you could continue on to the end of the road at Carate by car where there are many gold panners along the Carate River, quite often they will offer to sell you nuggets. There is a little pulpuria there where you can get a cold drink (I have heard that the gold panners cash in their gold there sometimes) as well as Corcovado Tent camp where you could buy lunch (If you are at Bosque del Cabo they could also pack you a lunch). The entrance to Corcovado park is just a short hike beyond there. If you decide to do a little panning on the Carate river bed you will run into Luna Lodge and by then will be ready to enjoy a dip in one of their waterfalls. Lana is always happy to let people visit them.
I would highly recommend you arrange for a 4x4 for driving down there as there will be streams to cross.
Happy planning!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:24 PM

Dear Suzie, You're are a wealth of information. You should open a Costa Rican information center. We are renting the same vehicle as last year, which is a 4 4. How bad is the road from Puerto Jimenez to Bosque. All I got from Leonel is "not Bad." I figured it must be very bad since they say it takes forty five minutes to get there from Puerto Jimenez. Thanks for the gold panning information. I never even mentioned this to my husband but now I can use it as an enticement. We decided to drive to MA and make sure the weather is decent in the Osa before we drive down.Also plan on checking out Dominical.Have you ever been there?
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:47 AM

Haven't been to Dominical but talked to a sweet couple from Canada who had just left the Villas Rio Mar. They loved it there and had decided to go back there on that same trip to CR. I would be careful when going swimming in the ocean there. Rips can be strong and Domincal does have them from what I understand. They are actually all along the pacific coast except for a few areas.

Regarding the road between Pto Jimenez and Bosque. At the moment it is not too bad (sorry-LOL). When I was there in Feb they had regraded it at quite a bit of expense not too far before we had arrived so it was pretty smooth. Hard to say how worn out it has gotten since then. We rode from the airport to Bosque with the fellow who is head of the taxi drivers association. We had always complained about the high cost of taxi rides but now understand completely why they are so high. All of the taxi drivers and most of the lodges have to pay for the road work themselves.(I say most because Lapa Rios doesn't consider themselves as part of the community I guess and only after much discussion they finally contributed $2 dollars to the work-I did not hear the LR side of the story but many of the other lodge owners and all of the taxi drivers are fed up with them) There are a few small stream crossings (drive through actually). It is still a dirt road with small rocks and potential pot holes and bumps so you really don't want to go too fast (what's the hurry anyway-there can be lots to see along the way). We quite often see mono Congos and Scarlet Macaws along the road. Depending on the amount of rain and traffic it has seen since we were there, it could be the same or it could have started to wear out already.
Don't blame you for waiting to see how the weather is after reading Marilyns report. When I was in CR in Jan and Feb this year there were several unusually cold fronts come through. The heavier rains could be associated with it being the remains of the last El Nino.

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:04 PM

Dear friends, Thanks for all the information. Suzie, It sounds like the road from P.J. to Bosque is not too bad. The only reason we are driving is to have the flexibility with the weather. I heard fom someone who is there now and actually it has been good the last few days, but it sounds like it is rather unpredictable. I don't mind the afternoon showers but torrential rainfalls for days on end would be awful. Last year in July it did rain some every day but mornings were great and sometimes the rain did not last very long.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your info