Search

Language schools - Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Monroe

Language schools - Mexico

Hi, hoping to get some advice on language schools in Mexico - any suggestions for good schools. Am Australian and hoping to go to Mexico next June for 4-5 months, about 3 months of which I'll do at a couple of different places and hopefully stay with local families while doing the courses. Unfortunately, I think at this stage, I will be going from June - October (are they the absolute worst months for weather?). Have also heard Antigua is good for language schools. Any info will be appreciated.

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 09:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You might want to read &/or post over on the Mexico branch of Thorn Tree at Lonely Planet's website. I often see info on language schools there.

Weather depends on which part of the country you end up in. 4-5 months, not knowing where you'll be, is too general to comment on the weather...

I know for instance on the Pacific coast it is hot, humid, often with a couple hours of rain. Certainly that's not the forecast for the entire country though (I don't think)!
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are some language schools in Cuernavaca which is a pleasant town with some great hotels/restaurants - eg Las Mananitas, El Madrigal. The climate is fine at that time with the town being called the city of eternal spring. Very popular with upper middle classes from Mexico City for weekend as it is only an hour away or so (with good luxury buses doing the journey in an hour and a half). Other nearby major tourist site is Taxco so you won't feel trapped.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 10:43 AM

I'd love to spend a few weeks or months studying Spanish! How wonderful!

I have met people who have studied in Guanajuato. It's a very nice area, north of Mexico City.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Monroe

Thanks for the info about schools - I realise that it was pretty general but will continue to do more research - at this stage I'm preferring Guanajuato. Will check out Lonely Planet but often find it's directed at much younger travellers. Am in my 50's and although I don't want luxury I want a bit more than a hammock on the beach. Great to get feedback - thanks.

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Monroe, I understand your concern about Lonely Planet, but there are often posts on Thorn Tree about language schools sometimes with websites given.

Although the guidebooks are aimed at the hammock/backpack thing (not my style either), you might be surprised at the variety of posters on the BB. Several regulars who are retired and living in Mexico.

Susan
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:29 PM

Just returned from language school in Playa del Carmen. You can find it on web at www.solexico.com Was an excellent experience. Classes are held outside in palapas. Everything is open air. Very casual with everyone in shorts but instruction is excellent. Wide variety of ages were there. Four or five to a class. You have a morning grammer class and an afternoon conversation class. I didn't stay with a family but many there did. Would love to go back.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:33 PM

One more thing. Since I was there in June, the weather was very hot and humid. The palapas had fans and the classes were so much fun, I just got kind of used to the heat. However, several students were complaining of the homes they were staying in as not being air-conditioned. I would definitely request an air-conditioned home to stay in or go during the U.S. winter to avoid the extreme heat.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:35 AM

I second the suggestion of 'Solexico' in Playa Del Carmen. Nice town, beautiful beach and great school. Okay, I have to admit I have not attended the school, just did a 'tour' of the place as a good friend of mine, Jerry Diego, runs the place.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Monroe

Thanks a lot for your advice and the outdoor classes sound great - will definately find out more,. Really appreciate replies. Thanks