Pueblo or Oaxaca or Guanajuato?

Old May 26th, 2002, 07:43 AM
susie

Pueblo or Oaxaca or Guanajuato?

Going to go to Mexico for a few weeks to work on my Spanish. Which of these three areas is recommended for a 2-3 week period. All have excellent Spanish Language schools. Trying to decide which would be the most interesting to visit.

Thanks

Old May 27th, 2002, 01:33 PM
dunya

They are three very different places. Peronal opionion is that for the greatest variety of culture, Oaxaca is the place. Guanjuato is a very nice colonial city, Puebla is much larger than either of the other two. If you are interested in traveling to various villages and seeing the culture and handicrafts of various indigenous groups Oaxaca has much more in this area. Also some of the language schools are cheaper than those further north. I have been to school in Saltillo, Cuernavaca and Oaxaca. I liked Becari in Oaxaca best and it was the cheapest. You won't go wrong anywhere you picked but they are very difffernt places.

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:52 AM
cat

My mother went to Instituto Cultural language school in Oaxaca and loved it. She said they teach people from Stanford and Berkley there. It is far cheaper than Becari and is apx $100/week. There is more diversity if you want to see ancient pyramids and more of the indigenous culture of Mexico. You can also arrange to stay with a family for $10-14 per day (bed and breakfast), and all combined is a great deal.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 11:00 AM
dunya

Actually Instituto Cultural is the most expensive langauge school in town, however a very god one. Becari's classes start at $70.00 per week.