Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

best accomodations in or near playa Flamingo, Brasilito, and Conchal

Jan 26th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

I've got 5 nights to play with in this part of our itinerary. I have set aside two nights of the five for Tamarindo (hotel Pasatiempo). My first thought was to base ourselves in Tamarindo for the five nights and just drive up to conchal, brasilito and flamingo. Now I am thinking we should stay in that area for the other 3 nights and then head down to Tamarindo. Besides the beautiful beaches there seem to be a lot of great restaurants mentioned.

So my question is: Where should I stay in that area? I've looked into FBR but....someone would have to give it a good review for me to go with it, it just isn't grabbing me. A/C and a pool would be nice so maybe FBR is my only option. Help please.
Jan 26th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

me again. I'm looking at Hotel Brasilito or FBR. From Tamarindo what is the easiest way to get to Mal Pais?
Jan 26th, 2007, 08:48 AM

capecodgal:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/mal_pa...ais/index.html
Jan 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM

capecodgal,
Hotel Brasilito and FBR I can tell you about! Have stayed both many times--love them both, but that's just me! My descriptions:

HB--very basic, no AC or hot water until recently, now both. I wouldn't stay unless I could grab one of the 2 upstairs beachfront rooms. Again--VERY basic, but fun--SO close to the beach. Brasilito something of a dirty little town, but has the small coastal village flavor--or still did a few months ago. The arrival of the Hyatt in the next year or 2 will obliterate Brasilito as we know it.

Flamingo Beach Resort--PERFECT location right across a narrow dirt road to the beach--one of the prettiest beaches in CR with a LONG expanse of white sand. Beautiful sunsets. The resort itself could use some updating, but we've always paid between $69 and $99 per night and have considered it a great value. It's sort of "dated" Holiday Inn style. BUT the rooms have AC, bathtubs, are comfortable enough. The pool is huge and has a nice swimup bar with a fun "bar team", Manuel and Eleanezer or something like that. I can NEVER remember his name--very nice guy, though. They've both been there for years. There is a fantastic salon on site, and Chris can give you a cut and color (should you be in the mood) and Carolina give EXCELLENT massages. About $50 for an hour. You can also arrange pedis and manis with them. Great French couple--been there for quite a while. They also have a new shop in Tamarindo.

The food at FBR isn't great--don't eat there. Breakfast is okay and included. Lots of good places in these 3 areas. Stella's in Flamingo, Camaron Dorado in Brasilito to name a few. . .

I think the 2 of you would be happier at FBR than Brasilito, although Brasilito is kind of fun. Stayed there alone for a week and enjoyed myself immensely!

I like Pasatiempo also, but like FBR better. Hope this helps. . .I'd like your opinion when you get back!
Jan 27th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac- I knew you would come thru for me! Here is my dilema: We will be driving over to the beaches from Rincon on aug. 10th a fri. My sister and I have scheduled a spa day at Los Altos De Eros on Tues. aug. 14th. (we could only do this on a tues, wed, or thurs). Wed. the 15th we head down to Mal Pais (Tropico Latino bch fr bungelow). So now I have 5 nights to play with....Ron from Pasatiempo is trying to talk us into staying there for the entire time and says conchal is only 20mins. away on a partly paved road. Our spa rate includes transportation from Tam. and tues. night is open mike night at Pasatiempo. (sounds like fun)

So I probably just answered my own question. Stay three nights at FBR and then the last two at Pasatiempo. Is three nights at FBR a good amount of time to explore everything around there? Too much time? I will just have to get over the hotelishness look of the place and realize it is a great location for the price.

Jan 27th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Would any one suggest stopping at Guaitil on the way to Mal Pais? I'm sure the coastal route will not be a choice during august. Thanks.