Reload this Page >

Saw no hucksters in Buenos Aires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Bill

<BR>I really enjoyed my visit to Buenos Aires over the holidays. I wished I could stay longer than 3 days. I didn't encounter any hucksters there unless you want to count the block of nice restaraunts I passed in Recoleta. At each one, there was a waiter inviting me to their pretty much empty tables.<BR><BR>I finally see the pattern of the B.A. messages on this post. I won't call you hucksters, but over-energetic salespeople trying to drum up business. I truly hope that your tourist business continues to improve.<BR><BR>I'll probably return to B.A., despite your efforts. You could spam me, but be aware of the fact that I can connect to MVD for only $25 more. Never been there, heard it's nice.<BR><BR>Best Wishes<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 09:39 AM
traveller

Bill ,what are you really trying to tell us ? Kind of a dark message ? Not the best time to go ?- said you enjoyed your trip , but something not quite right in your tone ? or i'm just reading too much into it ?

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:48 AM
JJ

What?

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 02:05 PM
me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What???
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 03:16 PM

<BR>What I was saying was that a lot of the B.A. posts were done by people who were just trying to drum up business. That is, the people post a message asking a question (like &quot;can anybody tell me about XYZ hotel?&quot Then they reply to it under a different name (&quot;XYZ Hotel is not very nice and is in a bad part of town, I can recommend, ..., contact me ...).<BR><BR>That is, some (maybe most) of the posts are sent up by people who want to advertise their services in their reply to their own (fake) post.<BR>
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 10:22 PM
me

That's acctually kind of funny if it's true! but hey ,can't you blame them ? Be there next month I just hope there will not be any political turmoils...
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 03:31 AM

<BR>Argentina is having a national election sometime this spring (to include election of a new president). I think that it was at the end of January when the U.S. pressured the IMF to loan more money to Argentina. They wanted Ar to have enough money to get through the election and provide enough stability for the new government to get it's act together as far as the economy goes. Many (most?) economists advised against the loan saying that it wasn't really helping Ar to face the reality of their financial situation.<BR><BR>I'm guessing that when you get there in April you will find a stable economy (due to the loan) and new hope politically (due to the election, which I THINK is in April, and which would be a non-violent event, I believe).<BR><BR>I'm not making any definite plans to return to B.A. in late December, though, since the loan money will have run out and the bloom will be off of the new government. It could be chaotic like it was in Dec. 2001.<BR><BR>You'll find some true bargains there, me, I hope you enjoy it. I recommend visiting the Hippodromo Argentino (in Palermo section of B.A.) and/or the track in San Isidro (not far out of town via the Tigre light rail line). At Palermo, I picked (and bet on) the winners of the first 8 races. Horse racing, that is. In fact, April will be late in the racing season, so you might find some big races (season-ending championships, like the Breeder's Cup in the U.S., but actually April might be a month early).<BR><BR>
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:45 AM
me

Re:mrwanrfl- Thanks for the infos.I'll check out MVD too-it's right next door ,why not huh ? Thanks again.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:55 PM
fes

I am confused as to the message Bill is trying to convey. Why don't you spell it out, Bill, if you have a specific complaint against someone. My wife and I used the services of a guide there who was the farthest person from a huckster that you could meet. We met Cintia, WOWArgentina, via a question I submitted on the Web for specific information on Argentina. Fortunately for us, Cintia answered. She then graciously answered all my additional questions promptly and thoroughly.<BR><BR>My wife and I are seasoned travelers, and I make every effort to learn everything I can about a destination before going. I also normally make all arrangements myself. However, in this instance, I was so impressed with Cintia's knowledge and willingness to help that we decided to use her services while we were in Buenos Aires. We were certainly not disappointed. We make an effort to avoid the usual tourist haunts, and Cintia worked out an itinerary that gave us the opportunity to meet and interact with the Argentinian people in their day to day lives. In addition, she was always available to make sure our trip was informative and trouble-free. We just thought she was wonderful.<BR><BR>I hope this helps a little bit in correcting the impression left by Bill's note that everybody in Argentina are hucksters. We found them to be very nice people like we find most people throughout the world.