Buenos Aires Hotel Madero Sofitel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While researching Sofitel hotels, I found this one. Anyone know about it--locations, rooms, etc? Thanks.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

santiago? drdawggy? anyone been there or seen it??
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Hi, JaneB

I don't know about santiagov, but I believe drdawggy is sick and unable to answer at this time.

I think that if you go to the trouble of reviewing drdawggy's posts on this forum and elsewhere (frommer's?) you should find some of his comments about the Sofitel in Puerto Madero.

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Jane:

Sorry ,canīt help.

Sure drdwaggy will know about .
But canīt think Sofitel is bad , the location of Puerto Madero would not be my choice for staying in BA . Would choose Retiro / Recoleta and Palermo Soho before.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for trying! I had done a search on this forum for the hotel but found nothing. I'll try Frommers--which runs a pale second to this forum! Anyway, it just may turn up something. I surely hope drdawggy isn't seriously ill--does anyone know??
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:44 PM

Hi Jane,
I stayed for 7 nights at the Sofitel Hotel Madero back in January. I would give it a mixed review. The hotel is new and has a nice indoor rooftop pool. I also like the location which is the old port area that has been redeveloped with hotels, restaurants and apartments. Puerto Madero is very safe and clean. Taxis are cheap in BA so a cab ride to most sites is just a few dollars. Breakfast was included in my room rate and was very good. On the negative side, the people who work there tended to be both less than competent and arrogant. On my next trip I would stay at the Hilton which is also located in Puerto Madero but is a better hotel in a better location.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, John. That's very useful information.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:19 AM

I have had the flu...nothing serious, but enough to keep me down for over a week.
Thanks for thinking of me....

I stayed at the Madero back in November, shortly after it had opened....I found the service uneven, but this is normal for a newly opened hotel....Rooms were modern, with a decided Asian/contemporary/understated decor.....The balconies look out to the river or an interior courtyard. The area is safe and under development...it is convenient to the business district and the Plaza de Mayo area, but does require a taxi to get most anywhere.....

Red, the restaurant, is a good choice for lunch and the bar runs 2/1 happy hour specials that are very reasonably priced.

All in all, I would stay there again.....
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, DrD, and I am glad you're feeling better. I did locate your reports on the Modero Sofitel on Frommers and read them with great interest. I found a $110 rate on the Sofitel website for a January visit, so that's why I was so interested. I take it you are a Georgia Bulldog.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Nice hotel for the money...it was a better bargain at $80, but that was a grand opening special that probably won't be repeated.

And, yes, I am from Athens, GA...where the correct spelling is dawg