San Jose - worth sticking around?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm headed to CR and spending most of the time in Osa, but have two days (one on the way in and one on the way out) slated in San Jose. After some looking around I'm starting to feel like I might just get out of dodge for the first of those two days. It seems so touristy...am I way off base? Does anyone know of a hotel that's more authentic and less "Marriott"?
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:41 PM

My favorite hotel in San Jose is the Hotel Don Carlos. It is in Barrios Amon which is a nice, well kept, and a quiet part of town. It once belonged to a coffee baron (as many of these small hotels did), but has been renovated into a very nice hotel with excellent personnel. It is in a great location (approximately Avenida 9 and Calle 7), within 5 minutes walking of the Teatro Nacional, the Gold Museum, the Jade Museum, several arts and crafts shops, the Plaza de la Cultura, several parques, etc. --all worthwhile places to visit. It is about 2 minutes by taxi from El Pueblos, a neat mall of restaurants, bars, and gift shops--worth a visit at night. Again, they have an excellent staff here. And a very nice, very large gift shop. . .so that you really wouldn't have to look around for gifts elsewhere unless you wanted to. Prices are reasonable and include a good breakfast. Very authentic, very nice. . . .free computer use, beautiful wood, etc. Secure parking also!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation! Is this near the airport? Am I hoping for something that does not exist? "Authentic" - near the airport? That seems counterintuitive.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 02:19 PM

No sorry. The airport is about 12 miles west of town. There are some nice places to stay near the airport, such as the Hampton Suites, but no, not authentic. . .convenient. . .UNLESS you want to check out San Jose. . .then you need to stay in town. The hotel will call a taxi for you to the airport. It is $12.00.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 03:44 PM

I *LIKE* downtown San Jose, and don't find it "touristy" at all.

The suggestion for Don Carlos is good. There are several hotels downtown that are of a similar class -- upscale, renovated historic properties. I stayed in one called Hotel Santo Tomas -- loved it! Easy walking distance to most sites of interest and a comfy place with top notch service. At under $50 per night, it's also a LOT cheaper than all those corporate chain hotels you find out near the airport.

If you want to see some pics, check out my web page with photos of San Jose:
www.tiogringo.com/sanjose.html

Have fun!
Mark
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Great to hear! I was feeling strange about not checking out the capital city. Def going to look in to these hotels.
Thanks!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:20 PM

San Jose is definitely worth looking at. Not for a week, but, as you say, upon arrival or departure! It has some interesting areas. Never have been to Sabana Park, and I understand that (in the daytime), it is worth checking out. None of the parks (and there are many) are good for hanging around at night! Nights in San Jose are meant for taxis!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 09:13 PM

Hotel Don Carlos is a very popular place. If you decide to stay there, be sure to ask for a quiet room. It can be pretty noisy in some of them. The rooms are pretty basic but it is a neat old building and there are frequently weddings held there. There is a nice little place to get a good cup of coffee and a light meal in the hotel and a decent gift shop. The gift shop is much smaller than it used to be but it carries a lot of stuff. They have a great tour desk if you need info once you get there.
Another popular place in the city is the Hotel Grano de Oro. It is considered to be one of the nicer small boutique hotels.
Where on the Osa will you be staying?????
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Staying at Bosque del Cabo for a few nights. Can't wait - I've heard such great things.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:01 AM

I would be very surprised to hear you don't like it. Bosque del Cabo is my all time favorite place in Costa Rica. My husband and I actually agree on this one. Last year we ran around and did all the trails, this year we did some of the trails while birding and just enjoyed the beautiful views. Much more relaxing.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 12:21 AM

TioGringo, I am interested in the Hotel Santo Tomas. We are flying into San Jose and my son (22) and 2 daughters (18 and 19) want to enjoy a little night-life before we head out for Arenal and Monteverde.

Did you try the restaurant at Hotel Santo Tomas? Was it as good as reported on-line? What do they give you for breakfast?

Was your room quiet at night for sleeping? Or was there street noise?

As we want to visit El Pueblo for night-life and also visit the Jade museum, both Hotel Santo Tomas and the Hotel Don Carlos have good locations.

I want a good location but I'm a light sleeper and need a quiet room as well! A difficult combination to find in a city...

Gracias.