San Jose..Where to stay?

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Jose..Where to stay?

Hey all. Headin to Costa Rica July 11th and arriving at night around 8 p.m. We are not looking to be in San Jose at all, but thats where we arrive and are going to leave as soon as possible. With that in mind, where should we stay thats safe, fairly cheap(er), close to the airport, and basically a quick night sleep before we head out to the country? Any help would be great..Thanks..And how to get there would be awesome advice as well!!...Greg
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:29 AM

we always stay at Hotel Grano de Oro...why? close to airport ($10pp taxi) very nice hotel, excellent customer service, but the #1 reason = the best meal you will eat in Costa Rica, dinner will be incredible, and breakfast is great too...
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:02 AM

Hotel Villa Bonita is great, cheap place 5 min from airport. $55/night includes breakfast. Basic, clean rooms with two large common, furnished hanging out areas and a dining area in a small hotel where the owner's live. They will e-mail you directions, it's easy to find.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:31 AM

Hotel Aeropuerto is good price...only 5 minutes from the airport...or the Best Western by the airport ...

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM

I second Hotel Villa Bonita. . super nice owners. .small hotel, Tico owned and operated. Nice little restaurant down the street, Peruvian. Their seabass very good! Also Argentine steakhouse nearby.

If I specifically wanted to be in San Jose for a couple of days, then Grano de Oro would be an excellent choice. . .also if I were looking for a bit of a hotel experience. However, since you have no plans to STAY in San Jose there isnīt any need to go there for a hotel. Itīs about a 20 minute backtrack in the opposite direction of where you will most likely be heading the next morning.

The airport is actually in the city of Alajuela, not San Jose, so most people who donīt plan to sightsee in San Jose donīt stay there. There are MANY hotels near the airport--right across the street American chain Hampton Inn & Suites. . .but we specifically like to keep our experience here as UNAmerican as possible, so we like the locally owned places a lot. . .especially the smaller ones.

www.hotelvillabonita.com

Owners Humberto and Carmen Brenes (and infant son Felipe) are lovely hosts. . .
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:43 PM

Just like to add to the above that Villa Bonita has a nice little walled back yard too. A good spot for chillin with a beer from the kitchen fridge (self serve honor system) at the end of your trip. We spent a pre dinner hour out there - still looking at birds - and that beautiful orange mimosa like tree back there.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Lots of people recommend the Orchideas Inn as well, which I believe is only 10-15 minutes from the airport. I'll be staying there for the first time this coming December.

I wouldn't hesitate to consider Villa Bonita either. Shillmac, Hipvirgochick, and Glover consistently offer good advice to CR travelers. They won't lead you astray!
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:57 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Buena Vista in Alajuela the night we came in and the 2 nights before we left C.R. Nice, clean, great and helpful staff, beautiful views. They pick you up and return you to the airport at no charge. They even came at 11:30 p.m. to pick us up when our plane was delayed.