Search

Safety - Oaxaca, Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety - Oaxaca, Mexico

I think I should also post about the safety issue in Oaxaca, before I go on to other details,

We never had even the slightest bit of concern for safety, morning - noon - or night - People were uniformly friendly warm and helpful, there were no incidents that we saw in 10 whole days in the area. I went many places by myself during the day in the colonial center, and had no feelings of concern at all.

Also, may I now thank all the Fodorites whose advice whether solicited or just found by chance on the site - was so helpful to me in planning the trip.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Topping again because someone had asked about safety in Oaxaca.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 02:47 PM

I just read an article on CNN about Oaxaca. http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/getaw....ap/index.html

I had friends visit right before the protests and they had a great time. I'm happy to hear that everything is back to "normal".
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM

I am just back from 3 days and nights in Oaxaca, a return trip from many previous enjoyable visits. It was very peaceful and safe, at no time did I or my traveling companions feel we were in any danger. We fanned out all over the city, walked a lot in groups of 2s and 3s, took cabs, visited markets, museums and galleries.

The marimbas were playing in the zocalo, but there were less tourists walking about and in the restaurants. And there were less of the colorful vendors in the zocalo than there have been during previous times. The women with families selling their handmade clothes, bracelets, rebozos, and backstrap loom weavings were not selling in the zocalo. The kids selling candies from their baskets were not in the zocalo. Instead there were shoe polishers and some balloon vendors. But some of the families selling their wares are now located closer to the Santo Domingo church area.

I would go back to Oaxaca now, with no hesitation, given what I experienced.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM

For what its worth, I was there two years ago when the protests were occuring, the police had left the downtown, protesters had secured a perimter and were patrolling with clubs. I was there last year on the anniverersy of the previous years protests and there was a minor disruption in which the police took off and the Zocalo was breifly trashed. In all of the above I was always treated well and respectfully by everyone. If something political is going down, I think it is always best to avoid it. I also think tourism is essential to Oaxaca City. One should use common sense and go and have a great time.