Safety in the "real" Mexico

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety in the "real" Mexico

Could anyone comment on their experiences and feelings about personal safety while traveling in Mexico? I am not referring to travel to major tourist destinations like the resort areas. I am referring to Mexico City and the central areas. Any experiences in Oaxca, Cuernavaca, Taxco, or San Miguel. Thank you for your input. I will be traveling with a 10 and 15 yr old and am trying to determine whether we should use public buses, a rental car, or a driver/guide. Also any recommendations for a driver/guide or where to find one would be appreciated.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 05:40 PM

Most of Mexico is *VERY* safe for tourists (FAR safer than anywhere in the U.S.), and the places you name are generally regarded as "safe".

I'd only really be on my toes and constantly watching my back in Mexico City, Tijuana, Cd. Juarez, and Nuevo Laredo, and maybe a bit wary of Chiapas.

Just my 2 cents...
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:40 PM

Hi

I was in Taxco for a few days and the place is very nice and SAFE.
The people were very kind and friendly.
I never felt afraid of anything or anybody while I was there.
I drove from Acapulco to Taxco, it is the Silver Capital of the World..
The street are very very narrow in many places right down town, I mean narrow, where two cars from opposite directions cannot pass each other.Whew!!!! what an experience.
BUT nobody, honked the horn at me or gave me the finger, they were as polite
as I was afraid of my own driving.
I have been to many places in Mexico(I am from Canada) and I have never ever been in a situation or place where I can say I was afraid.
You should be just fine.
Percy
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:27 AM

We've done a lot of travelling in Mexico - Oaxaca, Mexico City (several times), Morelia, Guadalajara, San Miguel & Guanajuato, etc., as well as several places on the coast. We use public buses usually and have had no problems, knock on wood. Certainly a place like Mexico City can be intimidating, but I always try to be aware of my surroundings wherever I am (I had my wallet stolen not once, but twice on a streetcar in Toronto where live, so I learned the hard way). There are some very very nice buses in Mexico - ETN line is excellent, much nicer than Greyhound here at home. We tend to use taxis when we're actually in a town, but uses buses between cities. The only times we've rented a car have been in the Yucatan.

I really love Mexico, especially the places away from the coasts. So much to see and do. Enjoy!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the reassurance. I don't mean to sound phobic. It has been many years since I have traveled in Latin America. Unfortunately (in some cases) the world has changed since I trapsed around Mexico and Guatemala as a teenager in the 70's and 80's. I look forward to sharing this beautiful country and culture with my kids. Thanks again for responding.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Lola

As a matter of convenience, we usually take a car and driver when traveling in Central Mexico. Guadalajara and SMA, Guanajuato, all are very safe.