Mexico City with toddler in tow?

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico City with toddler in tow?

I am trying to persuade my husband to go to Mexico City with my son and me for our vacation next month. He feels the City is too dangerous to visit. My research tells me it's no more dangerous than any other large city. If any one could give me some reassurances I can pass on to him, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:56 PM

I've visited DF many times, walked the streets at all hours and never felt unsafe-I can't say the same about large cities in the USA that I've visited.

A megalopolis like DF is always a challenge though and if one of the parties is reluctant to try something new the trip isn't likely to be much fun.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 08:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not sure why your heart is set on Mexico City? Danger (or not) aside I would find it too densely urban therefore nerve-wracking with a toddler in tow. What about visiting one of the many beautiful colonial towns of a more managable size?
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Just back from Mexico City and Acapulco. My wife, myself and our teenage daughter didn't feel unsafe at all in the Mexico City Zocallo area during daytime. In this area a cycle-rickshaw ride could be a lot of fun with a toddler.
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:45 AM

I just returned from a trip that included a few days in Mexico City, staying in the Historical Center. I do not recommend bringing a toddler. There is a major construction project going on that has a large number of sidewalks and streets completely torn up, especially in the Historic Center. Walking around this area is an obstacle course that is difficult for even able-bodied adults. To make matters worse, vendors have completely taken over many sidewalks in this neighborhood, further reducing the amount of space available for walking. Between avoiding constuction holes in the ground and avoiding vendors, taking even short walks was an exhausting experience. I cannot imagine doing this with a toddler.

I suggest waiting until your child is older, or until this construction project is completed. Alternatively, you could visit Mexico City and stay only in areas not undergoing reconstruction (Coyoacan is lovely), but then you would miss most of the historical sights.
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Mexico City, like any large city, contains many families with toddlers. On our recent visit, we stayed at the JW Marriott, in the Polanco section. Chapultepec Park, with its many wonderful museums and other activities for families, is an easy walk from the hotel. In the other direction were many wonderful restaurants and cafes, and a very pleasant park, in which families were enjoying walks, go-carts, and ice cream cones on the Sunday we strolled through. Yes, the historic center is very crowded and walking may sometimes be hard.
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:42 AM

Personally I'd pass on Mexico City with a young one. Just too much to watch and be concerned about. When my kids were little 15 years ago Oaxaca City was a great place to take them, they loved it. Although the population in Oaxaca has grown and it is quite different than it used to be I believe you could still really enjoy this with a little one. Although a long walk from downtown you could stay at a place like Hotel Mission de Los Angeles which has large grounds and room for a child to run around. Then you can bus, taxi, or walk downtown to the centro. I would also recommend renting a taxi by the hour and your little one can have a great time at Monte Alban, Yagul, and innumerable other places. I have been in Mexico City as recently as last June and although it facinates me, I would not want to worry about about a young one with me.