Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Royal Hideaway-Is it safe to drink the water?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading to RH in a couple of weeks and I'm TERRIFIED about getting sick from the water. Three colleagues of mine just retutned from the Cancun "area" (not RH) and were VERY sick. Can we drink iced drinks? And freshly washed fruits and salad? Did anyone hear of anyone getting sick at RH from the water? (Sorry if this message was posted twice-I might've made a mistake!)Thanks.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:15 AM

We ate and drank everything at RH and had no problems. Here's what we do -- each morning we take a "swig" of liquid pepto bismol as a preventative measure. It seems to work, we have been to Mexico a few times without incident. And we always avoid the tap water (but we do have frozen drinks, ice cubes, so we may not be actually avoiding the water as much as we think.)
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 01:21 PM
sweetsue

Why is everyone worried about the water? I have stayed here, and it is fine. Never got sick in many trips to Mexico.

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:38 AM

That's great that you didn't get sick, but the reality is that some people really do get quite sick from the water or the food. One woman didn't come out of her room for three days. What a way to ruin a vacation. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 10:16 AM
sweetsue

I think you are more likely to pick up germs on the flight down and back.<BR><BR>Also, I always recommend people getting a Hepatitis shot.<BR><BR>Curious? What is pepto bismol have to do with killing bacteria or a virus that makes you ill.

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:02 PM

I don't know why Pepto Bismol helps prevent traveler's diarrhea, but apparently it does. Here's the CDC web site: http://www.cdc.gov/travel/diarrhea.htm
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:39 AM

We have been to Mexico many times and have never been sick. I don't understand why so many other people seem to get sick. Maybe we've just been lucky, but we always stay at 4-5 star resorts and have never been ill.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:33 AM

The only time I got sick in Mexico was in Guanajuato - way farther than Cancun or Playa del Carmen. The Royal Hideaway is a very nice hotel. We ate and drank everything without worries and did not get sick. In tourists areas, the water is purified and they wash the fruits and vegetables with a bactericide. If you ask about it, they might even show it to you. I was unsure about a restaurant in Taxco and the guy came from the kitchen with the bottle of bactericide just to prove me that their food was safe! <BR><BR>I think many people get sick because they underestimate the effects of the sun, dehydration, and excessive eating and drinking. Also, workers themselves carry bacteria in their bodies that we are unused to - even if they wash their hands there might be a bit left. Which is why eileen's suggestion of pepto bismol is a good idea (When people from other countries come to the US they get sick to, because they are unused to our bacterias.).
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:22 PM

Wendy-<BR><BR>My husband and returned from RH March 4, we both got sick. We didn't get really sick, just a touch of Montezuma's revenge. We did not drink the tap water, and we brushed our teeth with bottled water but we did eat fresh fruits and veggies. All the water they serve and the ice they use is purified. My husband got sicker than me and I think it was due to him eating salads; I didn't eat any. Take some Pepto Bismo with you relax, enjoy the resort it is heaven