Search

Pregnant - What not to eat in Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pregnant - What not to eat in Mexico

Hello -

I will be 24 weeks pregnant when we go to Akumal in January. I know that I should drink bottled water and skip the ice, but what foods in specific should I skip.

I recently read a message about no mayo. I would have never thought of it, but a great tip.

I would hate to give up fruits/vegetables...but if I have to, I will.

Thanks.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 06:17 AM

In my experience salads, fruits etc only from those places that you are a hundrend per cent sure they used potable water to wsh them. The rest, water, ice etc is kind of obvious as you said. Mayo out is because of raw eggs, I guess no raw eggs in any form. Common sense should be present at all times. Good luch and a happy baby.
I am not expert but this worked out for us.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 09:37 AM

All ice is made from purified water - don't worry. Akumal is a tourist destination - things are very sanitized there.

Some people skip salads unless they know for sure the greens, etc have been soaked in microdyne solution. Eating fruits with a peel are safe - some skip strawberries too - unless they know the berries have been soaked in the same solution.

When I was pregnant and traveling to Mex, my midwife suggested not to eat ceviche - which was fine since I'm not a huge fan.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:31 AM

The rule of thumb is if it cannot be cooked, boiled or peeled, don't eat it..* and I still got sick*

Don't rinse your toothbrush in the tap water.
Don't let water get in your mouth in the shower.
Do not drink anything that has ice in it or that is "frozen" like a smoothie kind of drink.

Google..you can find lists of Do and Don'ts that will help..you have to be so very careful..it is not just that you will get sick but it is a parasite...the baby can be affected.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Montezuma's revenge is not usually caused by a parasite, it's usually caused by a bacteria.

Amy, if I were you, I'd take some pedialyte with me just in case I got sick. The biggest thing you have to worry about is getting dehydrated, but drinking water alone in large amounts can be dangerous. Not to mention, bottled still water may be tainted with bacteria.

Accordingly, drink carbonated water instead of still because the carbonization process inhibits bacterial growth. I always drink freshly squeezed limonada con gas (fresh limeade made with carbonated water aka agua con gas), and I've never gotten sick.

Eating yoghurt will also help keep the healthy and unhealthy bacteria in balance.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 04:59 PM

<i>, it's usually caused by a bacteria.</i>
Usually..... in this case, the exception to that would be pretty awful. I know enough people who have come home and gone to the hospital with amoebic dystentary and just plain Montezumas revenge to advise more caution that usual for someone pregnant.

Drinking any fresh fruit drink is dangerous..if they squeeze some of the fruits peel into the juice. . then you have the risk of bacteria.

Pedialyte is not going to help the baby if she gets sick..
And yogurt can make a person sick too.

hills, have you ever been to Mexico pregnant?
I only ask because your advice sounds like something a person might do but not if they were pregnant..