Search

mexico water

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mexico water

We will be going to Cancun next week. We know all about the "dont drink the water" issues: can someone tell me if I can still enjoy my morning coffee at the hotel restaurant or should I avoid that too?
thank you !!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Since the resort hotel most likely has a purified water system, but more importantly isn't the water boiled to make coffee(?) I assume it would be OK. I've never heard of anyone avoiding coffee. 16 trips to Mexico later, i've never gotten sick from the coffee.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:01 AM

I live in Cozumel and I can tell you that everybody uses purified water, especially the hotels. Even the locals use ONLY purified water at home and they are shocked when they see American TV and people are drinking tap water! They have never seen sucha thing. So don't worry about it, the water here is probably better than at home. The water company delivers both water and ice to all restaurants and hotels, so the ice is just as safe.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 05:57 AM

Agree with CozAnnie--no worries about coffee or ice in restaurants. The water issue is way overplayed in the US--of course you don't drink tap water--neither do the Mexicans.
As Annie mentioned, Mexicans are shocked to see us drink tap water. My Cozumel friends visit me in the US and find it hard to believe you can drink from a water fountain!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:55 AM

I have been going to Cancun for the past couple of years. Last year I got VERY sick and I am sure it is from the water at one of the restaraunts in one of the malls. I was very thirsty and took a very long sip before I realized how bad it tasted and smelled. I would make sure if you are not at a hotel (the hotels are all fine) to only drink bottled water. This year I will be asking my doctor for something to take to prevent getting sick at all. I have also heard that if you take some Pepto daily that can fight off stomach upset due to the water. But you will have a great time. Just be cautious, especially if the water tastes or smells funny.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 05:06 PM

Certain sources claim that the sandbar of Cancun has its own water purification system; whether this is true or not, everything you have read above makes a lot of sense, as far as if you only drink bottled water at home, then of course, you would drink the same while on vacation. There seems to be the ever-present myth of Monteczuma's revenge from hazardous water conditions----truth be told: there lies a different strain of bacteria among different countries, to which our systems may not be accustomed. Most likely, your hotel will be preparing meals with purified water, meaning that your coffee is safe. HOWEVER (and many tend to forget this), ask for the powdered creamer. Remember that Mexico does not have the USDA, so even if you ask if the creamer is safe, your waiter may answer "yes," meaning that he has had no problems with it. Another thing that many tend to forget is to ask for their cold beverages <<sin hielo>> ("seen YAY-lo&quot which means "without ice." Although the water you've ordered may be a familiar bottled brand, who wants to run the risk of the ice not being made with purified water, as well? This,too, may sound like a total drag, but I always have avoided dairy at all costs----well, almost always----the one time that I didn't, I landed in the hospital upon my return home. (Don't forget all of the things that are made with dairy: cheeses, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, creamer, etc.) I also will only eat fresh fruits that can be peeled (ie: bananas, etc.). The one time that I did get deathly ill was from not abiding by my high-maintenance rules. I had a friend who didn't listen upon his last journey, and he was very remorseful. At any rate, you will have a great time!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 05:09 PM

p.s. Francot is right----I take Pepto, as well, prior to the day's meals.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:34 AM

I agree with the talavera comment that it is likely bacteria to which you are not accustomed. I am in Mexico monthly and eat most everything with no problem.
Of course, as the locals do, I only drink bottled water.
I have friends who visit me from Mexico and always, one member of the family is ill in the US. They are not accustomed to our bacteria!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Actually, I eat the local natural yogurt with fruit and granola everyday to prevent GI problems, but no unpasturized milk (Brucellosis, etc.)
Only bottled water in my old house, but the new house has twin purification
as do many B&B's and hotels.
We soak fruit and vegs in an iodine solution which is widely available.
Yerba de Perro (an "Indian" herbal tea) is an effective, gentle, pleasant tasting and inexpensive RX.
Never eat "street food".
M