Search

Mexico - where to start

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico - where to start

I would like pyramids, beaches, and good food - all on the cheap. I have about three weeks in August and $1000, flying from Los Angeles. Where in Mexico should I go?
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 04:32 AM

I think that parts of the west coast would be cheaper, however you probably won't see as much in the way of pyramids on the west coast. The Yucatan is better for that, so if you flew into Cancun, you'd be able to see more without flying between your destinations in Mexico. I don't like Cancun, but there's lots of places on the coast south of there which are nice. Also pries will be lower in August - although it'll be very hot.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

i think my best bet is to pick up Let's Go - Mexico and see how much time my money will buy!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 08:09 AM

If you are including transportation in that thousand why not bus to Mexico. Take a line to TJ then do the rest of you trip via first class buses.<BR><BR>I just went to Mexico for $487.00 for a couple of weeks by busing to Mexico, walking across, using buses to get around Mex. and staying at cheap, but nice places. It was a long haul, but worth it for all the culture I experienced. With three weeks you could do a lot, see alot, and have the experiences you want.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 11:09 AM

Fly to Cancun, then go to Isla Mujeres via ferry. There is lots of very cheap accommodation and a great beach - Playa Norte. Have a look at www.isla-mujeres. net. There are no pyramids, though. You could then check out Playa del Carmen, Akumal and Tulum (south of Cancun) where there are great beaches and inexpensive accommodation (www.locogringo.com). There are even modest Mayan ruins at Tulum. Local transport in the area is safe and cheap.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

I think i've decided on Oaxaca, first flying into DF and checking out the city and daytripping to pyramids in the area.<BR> <BR>Thanks!
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 12:33 PM

I was going to suggest Oaxaca but I figured it might be too far for your budget. Once you check out D.F. you can take a bus to Oaxaca to save money. You can find very inexpensive accodations there such as the hostels. You can do everything in Oaxaca via bus to save money. Also visits to ruins are free on Sundays to save a little. If you want to go to the ocean you can bus to Puerto Escondido and do it on the cheap. In my opion you made a good pick. Lonley planet tour guide has fairly accurante information about the buses in the Oaxaca area which you might find helpful. Have fun.<BR>
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

thanks dude!