What's the BEST 1 week in Mexico?

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the BEST 1 week in Mexico?

My husband has an only 1-week vacation coming up, and we're thinking to hop from Las Vegas (where we live) to Mexico for 7 days. We're used to Third World countries -- in fact, if they're in the tropics or in the jungle, we favor them to the US. We actually lived for 5 years in Bali, Indonesia. That was something else.

Thus, in Mexico we're not looking to stay at a 5-star hotel. On the contrary, we'd like some local color, a clean room, hot showers, good service, decent food, scenic surroundings and possibly a beach nearby. If there were pyramids or something else like that to see, so much the better. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 01:02 PM

hiya, somewhere on caribbean coast would seem a good option, not cancun but about an hour south at or near playa del carmen, or cozumel, so you can visit tulum, chichen itza ( oe of new wonders of world) Xcaret or Xel-ha etc.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 02:22 PM
emd

WHen are you going? The coastal and low areas are hot now. I was on Cozumel two weeks ago and it was uncomfortably hot/humid anywhere off the beach. With only 7 days you could consider flying into Mexico City, stay one night and see the GREAT pyramids at Teotihuacan (one hr by bus), then go to Puebla by bus (2 hrs), one of (if not the) best-preserved colonical town in Mexico- it is amazingly colorful and wonderful architecture. And there is a volcano there, incredible scenery. There are numerous other lovely provencial colonial towns in the area to visit also.

That is more interesting and colorful to me than the beaches of Mexico, and I've been to several beaches on both coasts and the central interior and the south. The charm is in the colonial towns.

There is also Oaxaca, and for the beach, Puerto Escondito. Serious political unrest in Oaxaca last year, and I haven't been there since then.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 09:47 PM

I would recommend the Yucatan Penns.
There are the beautiful beaches (as another person mentioned Playa del Carmen, or a side trip to Cozumel) and the many Mayans ruins. Also Merida is a lovely colonial city not to far from Cancun.

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 07:00 AM
emd

Well, it doesn't sound good re Oaxaca. She the current thread, "Oaxaca City Report"- put that int he search box. Political protests and unrest starting up again. Too bad, the area is pretty devastated from last summer's uprising and police crackdown.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Wow! You guys are great. I knew I'd get a lot of creative feedback from this web site. I love all the suggestions. Thus, I'm going to print out the entire page, so that I can research all the possibilites.

For some reason, Expedia packages for airfare + room + car from Las Vegas to Cozumel are dirt cheap. They start at $647 PP for accommodations at the Fiesta Americana Cozumel Dive Resort, $709 PP for the Coral Princess Hotel, and $723 PP for the Casa Del Mar Cozumel. Once we're there, a one-day tour of the pyramids via ferry boat from Cozumel is only an additional $99 PP. All this makes the Cozumel/Playa del Carmen/Chichen Itza itinerrary seem as if it may be worth exploring.

We are not fixed in our travel dates. Since my husband has only one week off work, he can take it almost any time. What would you recommend as the best time(s) of year to go?

Oaxaca definitely sounds as if it's off the menu.

Thanks for all your input.

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM

I recommend something a little different. How about a jaunt on the Copper Canyon Railroad with a stay at one of the wonderful hotels perched on the edge?