Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a cooking class in Oaxaca?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2007, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we're starting planning for a Mexico itinerary later in 2008, and we'd like to visit Oaxaca. Can anyone recommend any one-day cooking classes in Oaxaca City or environs? We're looking for a fun way to learn more about Oaxaca cuisine than simply eating (which we plan to do also, of course!). Thanks!
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 02:30 AM

when we were in Oxaca we stayed in Las Bungavillas
a lovely b&b, the owners have several other b&b. In one of them they offer great cooking classes, I think exactly what you are looking for.
( I believe that the classes are given by the owner of the restaurant La Olla, a place highly recommendable too.)
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 07:41 AM

Haven't been to this one myself, but it comes highly recommended by foodwriters from the Washington Post: http://www.seasonsofmyheart.com/cook...es_school.html
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 07:56 AM

About a year and a half ago, a friend and I did a class with Iliana de la Vega at her restaurant, El Naranjo. (Info on the web or in moon handbook.) It was a fantastic half-day event that included a market trip and cooking class/demonstration. There were many hands-on parts of it, but she was the master cook and we were all helping. We made mole, tres leches cake, agua de jamaica (like red zinger iced tea, actually), rajas con crema, three kinds of salsa. The kitchen is a lovely area just off the courtyard of the restaurant. We then sat down, family style (there were maybe 10 of us) and ate what we'd prepared. She also bought chapulines (grasshoppers) at the market, and a few other local specialties that we could try. It was a lot of fun and pretty reasonable for what we got, though I forget the cost now. She gave us a lot of interesting history and stories about being a chef, and a woman chef, in Oaxaca. It was the highlight of my trip! She was right near the zocalo so we didn't have to worry about transit outside the city, which was good for us since our trip was short.

I'm happy to give more detail if you have specific questions.
Have a great trip!
Melissa
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 11:24 AM

I've done a fair number of Mexican cooking classes, so I didn't personally take this one, but the owners of Casa de los Sabores B&B (same as Las Buganvillas B&B and La Olla restaurant) teach a class at the B&B. Other guests there at the same time as us took it and really enjoyed it. The breakfasts at the B&B were wonderful, if that's any indication!
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM

I am just wondering if usually fodorites read the previous postings at a given subject?
Only because I noticed that Susan in Toronto recommended exactly what I did before ...
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 12:22 PM

Sorry Graziella5b, that I didn't give you credit for your post. Yes, I had read it, but you don't mention the name of the other B&B where the class is held. I was just adding to your post, and I apologize for not acknowledging your idea - no insult intended!
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 03:29 AM

Hi Susan in Toronto, it is fine, I was just curious, you were indeed much more informative than me, to star with you spelled right the name of Las Buganvillas, and also the Casa de Los Sabores.
The truth is that we seem to agree, I took a class in the Casa de los Sabores, and it was fun, lovely place. THe breakfast in Las Buganvillas was absolutly extraordinary, each day a special Mexican dish made in lighter way , each day the whole table was decorated in a prevailing color,
and they offered on top delicious home made breads, cakes and all kinds of preserves, unsual mexican vegetables etc it was a delight for both eyes and stomach.
The Casa de Sabores owner is one of the sisters, the same one that owns La Olla, and there the food is very good and prices are great.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 06:32 AM

I can't vouche for classes by the folks at La Olla/La Bug., but I had a very good breakfast as La Olla.

I have to say, even if you don't take the cooking class at El Naranjo, it's a fabulous restaurant. Several moles on the menu every day, a beautiful inner courtyard for dining, and very attentive service.

Whatever you do, report back--Oaxaca is a place I'd like to visit again!
Melissa
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Can somebody comment on the costs of these classes?

As a rough way of comparison, we did a cooking class in Thailand: six hours of instruction, market trip, cookbook book, and transport to and from for $28 a person.

I'm guessing its more expensive in Mexico, but I may be wrong.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 11:42 AM

just an update....Iliana de la Vega no longer owns El Naranjo. She left Oaxaca when the uprising was so bad a year ago. The restaurant has been sold and is re-opened. Iliana was the personality and guiding force of the restaurant, has anyone eated there recently? I would be interested in a review.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:02 AM

We just returned last night from 10 days in Oaxaca, and I'm sorry to say that our dinner at El Naranjo was way below par. I was actually shocked at the food, which was to me inedible. My friends were even more volatile in their disappointment. The new owner, Andrew Peterson, (I think,) seemed to have little control over what was going on the night we were there. He did say that they overbooked, but while that might be an excuse for excruciatingly slow service, it is not an excuse for dreadful overcooked dried out chuletas. We could not possibly recommend it.

On the other hand, we LOVED La Biznaga, and went there many times. Service was super and friendly, and the food very imaginative, and delicious.

Another great meal was at Maria Bonita, for the best mole negro ever. Also went back there again.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:51 AM

Hi Degas It was a few years ago but I believe the daily classes including shopping at the market, some experience in Oaxaca, was aprox. 50 dollars.
I always mean to ask you is Degas your real last name or do you love Degas the painter as I do. ?
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM

I just heard that Iliana de la Vega had sold El Naranjo and I was so bummed--it was truly one of the highlights of my trip when I went a year and a half ago! Did you have good dining experiences anywhere else? (Perhaps I should see if you posted a trip report!)
Melissa
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM

I'll be hoping to post a trip report tomorrow on Oaxaca trip. today I'm getting used to a new Imac and having a swell time, despite change from 75 degree Oaxaca weather to 6 degree Hudson Valley weather.