Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

San Miguel de Allende Cooking class at Casa de Sierra Nevada

Old Feb 6th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone done this tour/class at the Casa de Sierra Nevada hotel in SMdA?
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM

If you get any info/reviews from other sources, please post back. I have also wondered about doing some cooking classes there during my week in SMdA this summer.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 10:13 AM

From the reviews I have read online, it seems like Sazon is not a hands on cooking school (you don't make the food)- it is a chef presentation, meaning the chef does the cooking and you watch.

I am looking for a hands on class, I want to learn by doing. I am looking at this for that type of experience:
http://www.traditionalmexicancooking.com.mx/index.html

See discussions here:
http://san-miguel-mexico.com/index.p...oking-classes/
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 07:37 PM

I took a one day course from Seasons of the Heart / Susanne Trilling. It was hands-on. They pick you up at your hotel. Then you visit a market close to her ranch. where she leads a tour and tasting, then you eat in the market. They drive you to the ranch where she has her teaching kitchen in a separate bulding. She presents what the menu is, with history, then you break into teams and cook. It was very informative and FUN. Then we all sat down and ate the meal. It was very reasonable and I highly recommend it. CJ
Sorry! Had brain freeze - just realized that this was in Oaxaca.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Oops! That's funny. I was thinking about going to Oaxaca also, but maybe next time!
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

I did the cooking class at Sazon, which is affiliated with the Casa de Sierra Nevada. I really enjoyed it. We walked with the chef to the local market, stopped for ready made carnitas, rotisserie chickens, fresh tortillas, at a cookware shop, tried all the different fruits and veggies and homemade tamales, strange concoctions I had never heard of, all at the market.... Then we went back to the school (lovely facility) and he made several different salsas and a different way of making tortillas, cooked cactus (nopales) and a dessert made of black zapote. Strange looking but very good! A very enjoyable, entertaining and delicious day. I would recommend it.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Chef Paco Cardenas, who teaches some classes at Sazon in San Miguel, also gives private classes at his house. There you have much more hands-on cooking, plus Paco is fabulous! Contact him directly at:
[email protected]

Or, you could go out to Patsy's Place in the countryside north of San Miguel. Patsy will have you pick the cactus paddle leaves yourself, then skin them and prepare your own ensalada de nopales. Can't get more hands-on than that! Contact Patsy DuBois at: [email protected] Patsy also has a website at: http://www.patsydubois.com/classes.html