Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Really missing out if we stay around Arenal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I had our trip planned out (Los Lagos and then onto Buena Vista or Si Como No in MA -with this site's help! Thanks!) but I would still like to explore the option of just staying around Arenal for the whole week. My husband and I are really wary of a potentially 5 plus hour car trip with our two young boys (who wrestle/fight constantly these days!). I think they would enjoy the rainforest and volcano over the beach anyway. Would we really be missing out if we spend this first trip in the Arenal area - maybe splitting the hotels up between Los Lagos and the Lost Iguana as I'm torn between the two anyway? And/or the Peace Lodge? Any input is appreciated.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM

I love Arenal, but I think with a week that I would want to explore at least one other area, even if it's just a couple of nights at the Peace Lodge. I'd do Arenal first and then spend your last two nights at the Peace Lodge since it's much closer to the airport. Most people do like to visit a beach, but if it's not your thing, you sure don't have to.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 06:39 AM

If you do not want some beach time

www.waterfallgardens.com around flights

then

www.lostiguanaresort.com

www.tabacon.com

www.thespringscostarica.com sister hotel to the PL

Los Lagos not too pretty for price check reviews with care

Have fun,
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Recent decidedly mixed reviews on Los Lagos here.

Not bad just not great for the money

Reminds me of a 1950s era country club.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Spa_Resort-La...
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. You confirmed it for me. I think we will split between some hotels around Arenal (I didn't really see recent negative reviews about Los Lagos- my expectation is that it wouldn't be the type of place I'd go with just my spouse but that it is ideal for families???). Still torn between Los Lagos and Lost Iguana so any thoughts would be welcome, and the Peace Lodge for the last two nights.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM

The Lost Iguana is a wonderful hotel, one of our favorites. It has a very relaxing, quiet vibe - lots of nature trails and beautiful balconies with views of the lava. Our room had a jacuzzi tub on the balcony, nice open air restaurant on site. Los Lagos seems to really cater to families - lots for young kids to do on the property - rooms are not as posh as LI but families who stay there seem to really enjoy it. Closer to town than LI which is set out by the lake. Silencio del Campo is another one you might consider. Peace Lodge - love, love, love - very indulgent but not the most authentically Costa Rican place. I pretty much never want to leave the room there! You can check out pics and reviews on tripadvisor if you haven't already.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM

It's been 2 years since I was at Los Lagos, but you're right that it's geared more toward families/kids. The pools are great though and the hot spring fed pool/swim up bar and all the slides. There are other things on site too like zip-line, horseback riding, croc farm, etc. Silencio del Campo is more family/romantic with individual bungalows, smaller and owned by local family with hot springs on site as well. Haven't been to Lost Iguana yet, but all the trails and views sound amazing. You can also buy day passes for Los Lagos.

Peace Lodge is another great place for kids as it offers all the hands on stuff with the animals and birds. We had a really great here and have nothing really negative to say about it, except that it's just not our preferred style of lodging so we most likely won't stay there again.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM

It has been several years since we were there but my son loved Los Lagos. It is geared toward families, but we enjoyed it too. (Warm pool, with bar) The breakfast buffet was good, dinner so so. The staff at Los Lagos was great except the front desk. The view from our cabin was great. One side was volcano, the other was like looking over a valley. Lots of birds, Howler monkeys every am.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again! Since i can't decide what about 2 nights at Los Logos, 2 nights at Lost Iguana and 2 nights at Peace Lodge? Unfortunately other 2 nights will probably be in airport hotels due to late then early flights. Too much moving around?
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM

For me, that's too much moving around, but it's up to you and what you guys like. Peace Lodge is only about an hour from the airport; we have stayed at Peace Lodge our last night and then just gone to the airport in the morning if that appeals to you.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I think I'll do that-stay at Peace Lodge the last night rather than go to the airport. Is it worth paying the extra money for the deluxe rooms in either Los Lagos and/or the Peace Lodge? I am so torn between Lost Iguana and Los Lagos now. I know my kids would like Los Lagos better but as this is our first real vacation in a long time, I'd like what seems to be much nicer accomodations at Lost Iguana or Silencio del Campo. Maybe I'll meet that need with the Peace Lodge??
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 04:39 AM

Well the Peace Lodge is definitely indulgent and will fill that need. We've stayed in both the standard and deluxe rooms, and the standard room was plenty posh for us. The only reason we got the deluxe was because the standard rooms that we had had before were sold out. For me personally, I'd just save the money and stay in a standard room there. Make sure you leave enough time to see everything - they have an aviary, butterfly house, nocturnal frog tour, waterfall hike, etc.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Volcanogirl! I just read the reviews of Silencio del Campo and there wasn't one even slightly negative review. It sounds terrific. Have you ever stayed there with kids?
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 01:38 AM

ttt
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 05:49 AM

The only big difference in the deluxe and standard at Peace Lodge is the over-the-top deluxe bathroom with waterfall. It's awesome. But the standard is fabulous as well. Peace Lodge will offer an amazing experience for your entire family. Please stay 2 nights so you can enjoy a full day there and part of another day. There is a lot to entertain you and your children. We love the French restaurant down the road about 5km and always go there for dinner. Colbert's. The chef has always been very good to accomodate our 4 yr. old granddaughter's tastes, whether on the menu or not.

I think you are making a great decision to mix Arenal and Peace Lodge--absolutely. Lots of activity at Arenal. As for reviews of Los Lagos, I wouldn't worry about that too much. I don't pay a lot of attention to reviews other than the ones on this board as I feel I sort of "know" the reviewers most of the time. I don't recall anyone on this board ever having anything negative to say about it. Of course, how one feels about this or that hotel is always so subjective. There are those, however, who just give downright unfair reviews because they are so darned difficult to please. That isn't MOST people, I don't think. Sorry for all the "I's"--it was a huge opinion paragraph!

As for splitting time at Arenal, I wouldn't. That's just me.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM

kbeths -- I've stayed at Silencio del Campo with my daughter. We loved it there. It's a wonderful, smaller place with local owners. Lovely grounds and hot springs.

Los Lagos is also great and tons of fun for the whole family. Really nice to have all those pools for after dark...which is by 6pm.

That said...I would pick one or the other...not split 4 nights. If you don't stay at LL, just get a day pass for $10.

We've also stayed in the Peace Lodge standard room...they had sort of waterfall "type" showers, but must not be the same as deluxe. However, I wouldn't spring for a deluxe as the standards are more than adequate!
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM

You're right, hip. Maybe the deluxe bath is just bigger. I agree the standards are fabulous!
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 12:08 PM

thanks again. one more question. anyone been to "the springs resort & spa" for the day? it looks a bit like a disneyland venue, but in a beautiful spot and they are having a 2-day special ($40) which would mean we could go one evening and then return the next afternoon. thoughts??
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 01:22 PM

It's owned by the same people who own the Peace Lodge - probably not a super authentic Costa Rican experience but very nice and indulgent. We really like Eco Termales for hot springs, but I'd be willing to give the Springs a chance.