Search

Trip Report-Cancun area

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report-Cancun area

My husband and i travel about 1 month a year. This year was our Mexico year.
We left the day after Thanksgiving. I have Alaska credit cards & they have buy one companion 50$. well the connection from SFO to Cancun sucks!!!! You have to spend the night in |LA both ways.
So the 28th we're off to Cancun-Cozumel. We are timeshare owners so our first week was a trade at Melia. The flight was great-the plane trip to Cozumel on Mayair was wonderful. Got a shuttle at airport to hotel.
I usually don't like AI's but I had E-mailed the hotel & wanted to upgrade to a 2 bedroom-she gave me a good price on that but I had to do the AI. OK-Actually it wasn't too bad. The breakfast buffets were the best. There were 2 restaurants where you could eat off a menue. We ate the first 2 nights at Iguana-luckily we did as they were only open those first 2 nights. I had the same thing twice. Medalions of shrimp with a cherry sauce. My husband had a skirt steak that was so tender & delicious.
I am so glad we got the 2 bedroom as the master was back from the ocean & the 2nd was close enough to hear the ocean crashing at night.
The other restaurant was Cafe Paraiso-The carpico was so tender & yummy. The service was impecable and there was a piano player. Luckily thhis was the first week of our vacation because after that my husband refused to put on long pants for dinner!!!!
Only ate at the buffet dinner 1 night-not that great,so right before they closed we ordered hamburgers at snack bar & took them to our room.
Week 2-We took the ferry to Playa Del Carmen. We own at the Mayan Palace and got an ungrade to The Grand Mayan. any one who can trade into them do it|!!!!!! WOW. We had a plunge pool on our deck. The pool had beds with sheets and pillows and a soft sheer sheet around. Pure luxury.
We took a day trip to Chitzen Itza-We have been to Cancun 3 times & this was our first. I also swam with the dolphins-The Dolphin Discovery. It was a thrill and on my bucket list.
I had read about a restaurant called John Grays-It was in Puerto Morales. He had been a chef at the Ritz Carlton. What a wonderful place. He owns 4 restaurants down there-I got his card for the one in Cancun to try our next week when we were there. He also has his own wine lable-from the Cabo area-wonderful. My husband & I shared a warm spinch salade & I had duck with a chipolte tequilia honey sauce-to die for.My husband had macoroni & cheese-don't laugh,it had a truffel oil & grilled shrimp. After dinner we walked to the pier & just savored the night.
Week # 3 to Cancun. We own also at Casa Maya-While it is not a fancy place it has a wonderful location & a nice beach.
We took a ferry to Isla Mujeres. We stayed there over 20 years ago at The Presedente-It is now Avalon. We rented a golf cart to go around the island. I told my husband our next trip to Cancun will have a week on Isla-I love the small quiet. We had a wonderful lunch at Casa Rolandi. Wow what a place & what a meal. My husband had HOG snapper-never heard of it.
Before we left we stopped at Ballyhoos-I had read they made the best margaritas. We watched the sun go down & had some appetizers. What a wonderful relaxing day.
Another great restaurant we had in Cancun was La Habichuela (The string bean) Service impecable-food delicious.
We also ate at John Grays Downtown. Another wonderful meal.
I hope this report is helpful. I know I have gotten wonderful ideas from all of you.
Chris
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for reporting!!
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 03:34 AM

Thanks for taking the time to share with us!
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 12:06 PM

What was Chitzen Itza like? We are planning a week in February and wondered if it was worth a day trip. We missed it the last time around.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the Trip Report from a die hard Cancun lover.

Could you give me a wee bit more info on the John Grays Restaurant? I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks, Mamaw
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi-I'm glad we went to Chitzen Itza. We took a guided tour from our hotel. They picked us up at 7;30AM & we got back after 7;30PM. This included a lunch guided tour and drinks on the bus. I thought it was well worth it. This was our 3rd trip to Cancun & thought it was a must.
John Gray's is VERY good. I had read about the one in Puerto Morales. He has one on the beach in Puerto Morales-but we didn't try. He also has one in PDC-that I didn't know about till later. I can't comment on those 2 but the ones we ate at were wonderful.
He was a chef at The Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel-he's been down there 16 years. He came up to our table in PM & when I saw him I told him he must have been a child chef.
It is a nicer establishment-but men don't need long pants. (My husband was turned away at a restaurant in The Fiesta Americana-can't think of name off top of my head.
|John Grays Downtown is a little hard to find.I had a map & the cab driver had to call to find it. The # is 998-883-9800
Address is Av.Xpuhil SM 19,Mz2,Lt 24,Central Cancun.
The Cancun one I had a brussel sprout salade with almonds-I had brisket over polenta-very tender. We shared a desert-coconut bruelee with chunks of pineapple on side.
Hope this helps Chris