Tobacon or Peace Lodge as good base?

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tobacon or Peace Lodge as good base?

I want to stay in a hotel where I can take day trips to Arenal, canopy tours,and white water rafting (also do some hiking by hotel). Can anyone tell me if Tobacon or Peace Lodge is a better 'base' to stay in? Also, is it possible to do a day trip to Monteverde? Or do you recommend staying there overnight?
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 08:05 PM

I can help with this one- we are going next week and spending two nights in arenal and three nights in Quepos with an opening and closing night outside of SJ. Peace lodge is pretty far away- near La Paz waterfall if i am not mistaken. Monteverde is a gruling drive from Arenal and no way is it a turnaround day trip, We are spending one night at Arenal Observatory and the other at Tabacon with the idea of doing Cano Negro while we are there, I let you know more in a couple of weeks!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Dineroguru, it'll be awesome if you can let me know how your trip goes I'm also thinking about going to Quepos/MA area for a few days.... where are you staying in Quepos? I would love to hear about your trip. Have fun!!
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 04:12 AM

Monteverde is a difficult day trip. Certainly possible, but very difficult.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and got some good answers. Helped me decide to try to do Peace Lodge as a base (although that didn't work out b/c they were booked solid). Search for the earliest post under mothradave.

dineroguru, your itinerary sounds exactly like mine, except we're doing the 3 days MA/Quepos first, then the 2 in Arenal. Would love to hear how it goes.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Sammyc and everyone else... we are staying at Costa Verde in MA. We have a friend who has stayed at the hotel and raved about it. Also absolutely raved about a horseback ride with Finca Valmy in MA where you head out in the morning for a couple of hours through the jungle and ultimately reach an isolated cabin- there you have a great lunch and swim in a swimming pool before turning around and heading back. I also want to do some snorkeling and see the park so three days should go bye in a blur. We are driving down from Arenal so I'll let you know how the roads and travel times are. We are planning on stopping in Carara bio. reserve on the way down but are open to any other thoughts that could make sense for a family with three kids 10, 8 & 6.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 06:49 AM

There is no question Tabacon is where you want ot stay. The resort is a destination in itself. The view of the volcano erupting (from your room) is something you will never forget. The made made garden and pools are right out of Fantasy island. It is amazing.

Tabacon is expensive, but worth it. Another good choice while in Arenal is the Observatory Lodge. Rooms are nowhere near as nice, but a good restaurant and excellent pool make up the difference. It is also a completely different view of the volcano which is good.

All the other activites you menitoned are day trips from Tabacon. However, some of them might be quite long.

I recommend 2-3 nights at Tabacon, and then go to the coast. Either Tamarindo, but preferably Quepos. The best canopy tour is outside of Quepos (much better than near Arenal). The Manuel Antonio forest in Quepos is unreal. Every nature show every made was filmed in this park. It is amazing.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:38 AM

The view from the Observatory Lodge is different, but I don't know that I'd characterize it as good. Unfortunately, you can't see the lava flow from the Observatory Lodge.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Clark_G, the canopy tour you mentioned in MA...is it the Canopy Safari? What about the Canopy tour (Sky trek?) in Monteverde?
Dineroguru, I checked out the costa verde website & it looks awesome! Since we're not renting a car, we want to stay in a good location where we can walk to the beach, hiking trails, or have people pick us up for the tours. What are some other resorts/areas that you suggest?
Thanks to all of your replies!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:20 AM

My son and his wife also loved Finca Valmy horseback tour--and they'd never been on horses before! The people will make sure the horse matches your skill level. It was one of their favorite activiities in CR. The people associated with Valmy tours are just great! If you book horseback riding while in MA, be sure to specify the one with Finca Valmy. If you email contact via their web site (Valmytours.com??) they'll tell you what to expect.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:18 AM

Sammyc-- It sure sounds like you are on the right track so far... We are stayiing two nights at Arenal and 3 at Quepos with bookend nights at the hotel Bougainvillea near SJ. Wish we had more time cause there is a ton to do!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:20 AM

Speaking of Peace Lodge, anyone know if La Paz is a worthwhile excursion by itself, excluding the Waterfall Gardens and PL? What's around - Poas, whitewater rafting, is the city interesting, etc.