Summer trip to CR

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer trip to CR

I just found this message board and I am very impressed with all the travel stores and advice given. We are planned a trip to CR at the end of June and would like your thoughts.

Our flight will get in to San Jose at around 1pm. My husband wants to drive to La Selva for one overnight. The next day travel to Poas and possibily stay at Peace Lodge for one night. We would then drive to Arenal. This is were I am confused. Can we stay in one location and drive to Monterverde for the day or do we need to stay overnight in Monteverde? I would like to stay in one place but don't know how much time I would spend in the car travelling. After Arenal/Monteverde we plan on returning the car in San Jose and flying to Osa and stay at BdC for 3-4 nights. We also can do this in reverse (Osa first, volcanos second) Btw, the kids are 11 and 15.

What do you think? Is La Selva worth seeing? How much can we do in one day?How much time do we need in Arenal/Monteverde. We want to do the ziplining and maybe rafting too along with Tabacon.

You all are the experts here!!! Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:00 AM

I really liked staying at Selva Verde, and at Peace Lodge, but with short amount of time I would probably cut Selva Verde out. It's a good 2 hour or more drive from the airport, then an hour or so from Selva Verde to Arenal. Monteverde as day trip from Arenal? Possible, yes. Advisable, no. It runs about 6+ hours of driving for the 3 hours you spend there (if you take the taxi/boat combo). Arenal can easily fill up 3 or 4 nights. You may be best off, if flight time allows, heading first to the Osa, then flying back to SJO, go to Arenal and then spend the night before departure at Peace Lodge (as long as you don't have a very early flight). Or do Arenal, Osa then Peace Lodge. Definietly dp the SkyTrek in Arenal, your kids will love it.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tully for your response!

After much reading on this board, it sounds like we can skip Monteverde and spend 3-4 days in Arenal. I had thought SkyTrek was in Monteverde. Is there anything in Monteverde that is a 'must see'?

After looking at flights, it makes sense for us leave Osa for the end of the trip, hopefuly we can leave BdC early and catch the first flight to San Jose in time for a afternoon flight home.

After arriving in San Jose on the first day it probably makes sense to go to Peace Lodge because its closer than Arenal.

Should we book our day trips/excursions before we leave or wait until we get there?

Any recommendations on hotels in Arenal? I was thinking about Lost Iguana.

Thanks for all your help!!!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:46 PM

I agree with Tully--drop La Selva for this trip. Do 2 nights at Peace Lodge, your 3-4 nights at Arenal much better than trying to fit Monteverde in during that time, and finish up with BdC.

We love all of those places, but I must say the 2 nights we spent at Peace Lodge were just SO enjoyable--the accomodations are excellent and the property a great way to start out your time in Costa Rica! You can do it with one night, but for max enjoyment, two is much better!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 04:03 PM

We've stayed at Lost Iguana, Peace Lodge, and BdC - you really can't go wrong with those three. We haven't been able to fit Monteverde in yet - keep skipping it for other spots, and I still would like to go some day, but I'd say give it a pass this trip since you're moving around so much. We've always booked our excursions when we got there and have not had any problems. We usually just book everything through our hotels once we check in.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks shillmac and volcanogirl for responding!

I have 4 nights booked at BdC, and am working on 3 nights at Lost Iguana and 2 nights at Peace Lodge. I was thinking of flying from Arenal to PJ, I am wondering if I can rent a car in San Jose and return it in Arenal and not be charged a drop off fee. Or maybe I don't need to rent a car and just use a driver to get around.

I am so happy I found this forum and have learned so much about travelling in CR.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:55 PM

Just realized I mis-typed....Selva Verde to PL is an hour - not Arenal to PL, which I think is closer to 2.5 hours.

I think the car thing in Arenal could go either way. At LI, you'll be further out and it may come in handy. On the other hand, if you plan on taking a few tours where transport will be arranged, you may not need it as much and a taxi to dinner a few times will be less than renting. If you're going to fly Arenal - SJ - PJ, I would book as soon as you can; Nature Air has, I think, only 1 flight a day, so it'd be a bummer to find it sold out. Think your stops & # of nights are perfect!
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM

I think you can expect at least a $50 drop off fee.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

tully.....you were right, I am traveling from La Fortuna to PJ on a Sunday, no flights available. We'll drive drive back to SJ and take the flight from there. Should I estimate 3-4 hours to drive?
I'll guess we'll use Sansa RT so we'll be at the right airport to catch the flight home on the last day. Should I let BdC handle the flights to/from PJ?

Shillmac....I don't have to worry about the drop off fee any more...we'll be driving to SJ!

Any 'must do activites' at Arenal and BdC?

Thanks for all your help
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM

In Arenal, we loved Cano Negro for wildlife, went to the Tabacon hot springs (EcoTermales gets good reviews too), hiked the Hanging Bridges, volcano watched. SkyTrek is popular for zip lining. At BdC, we liked the guided hikes - Primary Forest with Phillip and birding with Carlos - also enjoyed taking the boat over to the animal sanctuary. Friends of ours went horseback riding, waterfall repelled, and went surfing. The night hike with Phillip is pretty popular too.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:28 AM

Well, it is a long trip to Monteverde and most likely you do not want to make the trip twice in one day. With the limited time frame the poaz volcano may need to be reconsidered, or Monteverde. Here is a good resource for Monteverde to help you decide.

http://www.monteverdeinfo.com/

There is a really great zip-line adventure company there called Selvatura that has THE BEST pizza in Costa Rica. A genuine forno oven and everything. There is a cool Horseback riding tour you can get from Arenal to Monteverde. Check it out.

http://www.anywherecostarica.com/tou...ack-riding.htm

Where are you going in the Osa? I love it down there. I used to work at Playa Nicuesa Lodge which is actually in the Gulf within the peninsula. Lots of dolphin sightings!

Have fun.