Search

Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco

I'm planning a weekend trip for my finance next month for his birthday...which is a better weekend vacation spot, Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco. I would also like to stay at a nice hotel...any suggestions. First time to Mexico...need help!!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 08:19 PM

Depends on what you like. Vallarta's more historic, more scenic, more casual, but Acapulco has better nightlife, is more cosmopolitan feeling. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 08:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm a loyal fan of Puerto Vallarta (15 trips later!). Great downtown area, shopping, activities, wonderful restaurants, and all range of places to stay, from fancy resort out in Nuevo Vallarta, to The Marina, Hotel Zone, or El Centro and Zona Romantica.

Since you mention that it's a weekend trip, PV is really easy to get in and out of the airport, to anywhere around The Bay of Banderas. Friendly, safe, easy for a first time trip.

Maybe Camino Real if you'd like a place south out of town on its own beach. Casa Magna Marriott or the Westin for a more upscale americanized property. For a low-key welcoming local place look at www.casa-andrea.com if you'd like a B&B away from the more mainstreem tourist choicesm it's down near the main public beach.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I've heard Camino Real is a nice hotel. We are in our mid 20's, is Camino Real a good hotel to stay in for our age group?
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:01 AM

hi kdsho,
The Camino Real isn't a big party type hotel, I would say the clientele I saw there were more families and a little older. But it all depends on what you are like! If you like lots of activities and parties, then no. If you want to relax and have a romantic weekend, the Camino Real is great!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:34 AM

I have visited both cities frequently and if you are more into the nightlife, Acapulco is definitely my choice. It has the best nigh clubs in Mexico...the majority of the tourists there are from Mexico City or Guadalajara...the view of the bay at night is beautiful, one of the best in the world, the Hyatt is my favorite hotel if you want to be near to everything, but Las Brisas is my ultimate favorite, casitas with private pool...Puerto Vallarta has more of a Mexican town charm...many Americans live there or vacation for long periods of time...night life is good on busy weekends...the day cruise to Yelapa is a must...near downtown, I like the Sheraton and La Joya de Mismaloya is my choice if you want to be in a more secluded area of Puerto Vallarta...in both cities you will have a blast
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Did you decide where to go...just curious....