Reload this Page >

Need advice on trip to Guanajuato - San Miguel de Allende

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be traveling to Mexico with our 1-year old baby. We will be staying in Guadalajara for a conference during Feb 4 - 8.

We have a few questions about planning a three day trip from Guadalajara to Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende (Feb 8 - 11) and will appreciate your recommendations.

* We are planning to take either the ETN or PrimeraPlus bus from Guadalajara. Should we reserve it in Mexico or should we do it from the US? I heard the ETN is a little more expensive, but is it worth paying extra considering that we are going with a baby?

* We are not sure if we should make Guanajuato our base and take a side trip to San Miguel.

Or if she should spend 2 days and 1 night in Guanajuato, take a bus to San Miguel, then spend 1 day and 1 night in San Miguel (all day Tuesday), and then go to the Leon airport.

* Our flight leaves from the Leon airport at 7AM. Any recommendations about "reserving" a taxi or such at that early time?

* We are considering Parador San Javier and Holiday Inn Express for the hotels in Guanajuato. Any drawbacks regarding location, etc?

Thank you!
Jose, Sandra and Juliancito (el bebe)
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:08 AM

We did a trip to Guanajuato and San Miguel a few months ago, 3 days as well.

I'm not sure about the buses. What I do know is that it usually pays off to take the more expensive bus. The difference will be neglegible, and the experience may be a lot better (larger seats, better movies, less stops, toll highways, etc). Factoring the baby in, I'd ask whether the buses have two seats on each side or two and one. The two and one seats are a lot bigger, have footrests, and recline a lot more.

San Miguel is smaller and, to a point, "easier" than Guanajuato. However, it is also more expensive. I like your ide of spending 2 days, one night in Guanajuato and 1 day one night in San Miguel. I would reverse the order, though. Guanajuato is MUCH closer to the Bajio airport (think 75-90 minutes closer... for a 7am flight, that is a very important factor!)

If you're sleeping in Guanajuato and leave at 7am, you'd need to be at the airport sometime around 6am. To do that, you need to allow a 30-45 minute drive. Ask your hotel to reserve a taxi for 5:15-5:30. I'd definitely reserve the night before... you never know.

If I remember correctly, the Parador San Javier has a MUCH better location than the Holiday Inn... though my memory may not be working... We stayed at La Abadia. It was ok in terms of location, next to the Parador.

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:00 AM
ss

Big tip--don't plan to push your baby in a stroller in San Miguel. The sidewalks are very narrow, like Florence and it's very hilly. You cannot push it on the street because of the cobble stones. Maybe a baby back pack or hope he's walking!It's very lovely there and the restaurants are amazing - one of my favorite places.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Jean_Valjean and ss, thank you for the feedback. We are taking both a light stroller and a baby carrier.

I am becoming more inclined now to visit first San Miguel because of the distance to the Leon airport. The only caveat is that I still don't know if there is an early bus (before 9am or 10am) from Guadalajara to San Miguel. I found that there are several trips from Guadalajara to Guanajuato via PrimeraPlus.

Anyone knows how to find the bus schedule for ETN other than their own website? (It has been down for a while.)

Thank you all!

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 12:54 PM

We stayed at the Parador San Javier in November and were very happy with it. We booked a suite, which was great ? a large living room and bedroom, and two full baths! It?s a bit of a walk from downtown, but as a result, it?s very quiet and peaceful.

I definitely agree about staying in Guanajuato at the end of your trip, because of the airport situation. I don?t know about an early bus to San Miguel from Guadalajara ? I checked the Primera Plus website, and they only listed two departures ? one at 1:00 pm and another at 3:00 pm, for a 5:45 hour trip. It might be better to just stay in Guanajuato and do San Miguel as a day trip ? it?s a lovely town, but fairly small, so you could see a lot in one day.

If you do decide to stay in San Miguel, we were very pleased with the Villa Jacaranda there.