Puerto Vallarta vs. Neuvo Vallarta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife and I are going a away for a relaxing, (hopefully) romantic trip to PV (or NV). We are unsure whether we need to stay "in" PV or whether NV is preferable. We are not big party animals, although we enjoy dining, some recreation, and possibly dancing, etc. Our idea of a great trip would be sitting on the beach or by the pool for hours, then heading out for a great dinner. We are going at the New Year. Any advice is appreciated.

John L.
Virginia
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:55 PM

PV is nice in that you have many good restaurants available to you. It is much much easier to head out for a great dinner in PV. I like NV more for a family vacation however if it were just my husband and I, I would definetly choose PV.

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:58 AM

NV is too far from downtown PV for my taste. I would only stay in NV if I never wanted to go into town. I have been to PV too many times to count and enjoy spending every evening in town. That would be way too hard from NV. Great restaurants in PV you will enjoy. Safe downtown area, good shopping. I don't hit the bars there, but there is good nightlife if you want it. The ONLY thing I don't like about PV is the timeshare sharks. Just say no or ignore them and keep walking. Less of these if you go on the "south side" of town. Have fun!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:32 AM

I agree with Sal. For me PV is best south of the River. It has a lovely charm. Seems to me there's a lot of time share pressure around Nuevo Vallarta, and I definitely would want to avoid that.
If you want a great beach, stay at the Camino Real. Ideal location! Great hotel!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I can still count my trips to Puerto Vallarta (15!) and LOVE to stay in town, south of the river, as already mentioned (this area is sometimes dubbed Zona Romantica or Old Town). Nuevo Vallarta is a good 45 mins. drive from town so not that easy to just pop in for a great dinner. In Nuevo Vallarta (I imagine, I've never stayed there) you would more stick to your own resort. There's not that much out that way along the highway, well except for other resorts. While downtown PV is a rich & vibrant place with so much to do (galleries, restaurants, cafes, shopping, etc.) or not do (relax by the pool or at the beach) as you choose.