Puerto or Nuevo Vallarta All Inclusive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for an all inclusive resort/hotel.. Canadian, first time visitor to PV. Thank you.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:05 PM

i am also candian-toronto....i dont know if this helps but ive only ever heard good things about nuevo vallarta. bad stories about puerto vallarta and i think thats what is kepping us from going there. we might be going to the riu jalisco in nuevo vallarta this summer. looks beautiful and we've only heard good things about it.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:17 AM

Just goes to show ya, everyone has a different opinion...wondering what the "bad stories" are? I love PV (been there 8 or 9 times?) and would never stay in Nuevo because it is too far from downtown PV. PV has the most incredible restaurants of all different price ranges and types (which is why I don't stay AI in PV). The downtown area is very safe, even at night (just don't do dumb things, like anywhere you would go...).Lots of nightlife (not my thing, but lots of it there) and shopping. The north side of PV has more americanized things, such as Hooters, Walmart, etc, and the south side of PV has kept more of an authentic feel to it. Evenings along the "malecon" (seawall along the ocean downtown) in PV are magical, especially on Sunday nights when many locals come to town on their night off. Street musicians and performers out, and always there is art displayed for sale near the outdoor ampitheater. So, the town of PV itself is a big draw for me and that is why Nuevo is not a choice for me. As far as hotels, I have stayed at the Camino Real (no AI offered there) which is a very nice hotel on the south side with an awesome beach that is all it's own, at the Krystal(beautiful grounds!) in the Hotel Zone (offers AI as an option) and am going to stay at the Velas Vallarta (offers AI as an option) in the Marina in 3 weeks (can't wait!). The only drawback I have EVER found about downtown PV is the timeshare salespeople. I have learned to say no and keep walking. You will find timeshare salespeople everywhere, probably even in a hotel in Nuevo because most of them have time share. There are tons of hotel choices, both AI and non-AI with a wide variety of prices.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I agree with you - we have been going to PV for 15 yrs. when I asked why N. Vallarta the reply was that they had heard that PV was "dirty". I don't know her well enough to change her mind. As her friend (who asked me about PV) said - if you are never going to leave your hotel/resort you may as well go anywhere! We did go look at Velas Vallarta (as the only Mexican owned resort) and it seems very pretty. If anyone thinks or has tried any place else I'll check back. TX
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 09:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A 15+ time visitor and dedicated fan of Puerto Vallarta...

The 'dirty' I've heard was usually from folks coming in on cruise ships for one day and doing inflated taxi tours around that part of town.

Nuevo is the resort area, I'd compare more to Cancun style - built to the north of downtown and the airport. If you want a more isolated resort experience that's the place.

Heading south there's The Marina, Hotel Zone, El Centro, Zona Romantica (also called the 'southside'), then onto resorts on their own beaches further to the south. All types of hotels... including all-inclusives, high-end properties, international chains, local family-owned 3-stars to backpacker budget basics.

My best recommendation is to find a good map and look at how things are layed out around The Bay of Banderas.

Personally, my choice is always to stay in the old town area south of the river. I have never had anything but a great trip. At least in that part of town, it is welcoming, clean, with lots to see and do. It's really a lovely place to visit!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Absolutely agree that PV is one of the best places to vacation, things to do, restaurants, art galleries, etc. While we stay at the Villa del Palmar we have been all over. Certainly do not think it is dirty - actually, even around the Marina - once took a bus up back into the hills and it was amazing to actually see Mexico behind the Hotel Zone! Unfortunately, we cannot convince the Canadian lady and she is insistent on N. Vallarta - which I find completely antiseptic and non-ethnic (if there is such a word) anyway, non representative of any of Mexico. So, thank you all.. see you in PV!!
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 09:22 AM

I'd call the Nuevo resorts 'Disney-esque' in style so unfortunately maybe more to some people's comfort zone. You do not need to experience or participate in anything truly Mexican, except the nice weather. You most likely will be surrounded by other American & Canadian tourists only.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Skye, oops sorry realize my post above really isn't helpful in anyway for finding a good place for your stubborn (just kidding) friend. Nice of you to try though (and when someone has their mind made up about something in Mexico, I wouldn't try to talk them out of it! Ever!! They're sure to be one of the few to get sick, get scammed, whatever.)

Try the Bulletin Board over on www.puertovallarta.net. Lots of folks actively posting current info - it's only for PV and mostly geared towards the resort hotels.