Please help me with my BA trip ...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on spending two weeks in Buenos Aires and enrolling in a Spanish language school (ILEE) while there to brush up on my spanish. I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to visit Iguazu Falls while I am down there, and if so, how is best to do it? Also, I will need a hotel for a night or two at the beginning of my trip. Has anyone stayed at the Hilton Buenos Aires?

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 06:31 PM

We just returned from 2 weeks in Argentina which included 8 nights in Buena Aires, 2 nights in Iguazu Falls and 3 nights at Llao Llao in Barilochi. Both the Falls and Barilochi are worth the effort, If you get the chance. There are travel agents throughout BA to help make arrangements. We thoroughly enjoyed our time down there and will definately return. We stayed at the Four Seasons which was previously the Hilton. I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind. It is a superb hotel in all respects and I would recommend it to anyone. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:05 AM

definitely if you are coming to Argentina you must go to Iguazu.
There are organized tours by plane or bus for a few days. You need 2 nights there (actually 3 days)to visit the waterfalls and the ruins. You cant miss this trip. If it is possible for you, book one tour, there is a great demand for the area and .....enjoy it.

Hilton Hotel: This hotel is situated in a newest neighbourhood in Buenos Aires in a calm area, close to joggining and walking tracks surrounded by open spaces, green areas boulevards and restaurants.

You need a cab to go to the shoping malls or to the shopping areas. If your intention is to do a lot of shopping i would suggest staying in Pza San Martin area.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:45 PM

Hi, I agree with Argentina, the Iguazu Falls makes up for a wonderful side trip. (2 or 3 nights) there is plenty of informatiion in previous messages in this forum.

I have not stayed in the Hilton, but a friend has recently stayed and she liked it very much.( rooms are a little noisy because they all face an interior attrium) The area is Puerto Madero and is a touristic area, a little off the real life of the city.
For less money there are very nice hotels in Buenos Aires, recently stayed in the Bel Air
a chic, very nice medium sized hotel.
Location is great, should you stay there for a very little more money ask for a jr suite or a suite. Anyway it will be less than half of the money for a regular room in the Hilton and a much better deal and a nicer place.
Another four star hotel I have tried is the Argenta Tower, great location a very pleasant. 4 stars hotel
I would stay in either one and then visit the Puertro Madero area where the Hilton is by taking a taxi.

The Four Seasons, was the former Hyatt Hotel, as all Four Seasons it is a fine hotel and the location is great but honestly unless you get there some kind of deal the difference in rate does not justify staying there.
Good luck.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:49 PM

Hi, I forgot to get real good rates in Argentina Hotels, try to make reservations through a local travel agent, they have special rates ( like if you were getting them through the internet), this is the way we have gotten this low rates in very nice hotels.
We have used wowargentina.com.ar ( Cintia) a reputable agency that many in this forum have used.Good luck and as B.Eames
mentioned a side trip to Bariloche is fantastic as well.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:15 PM

Just stayed 6 nights at the Hilton BA, The location is very nice,clean and secure, lots of police officers guarding the streets, Radio cabs sponsored by the hotel are waiting at the entrance and they will take you to the more unsecure shopping zones like Florida St. for a one dollar ride (US$1.00 or 3 pesos).
The hotel looks and feels new, service is very personal,a Gourmet Buffet breakfast is included, rooms are very elegant though modern, impressive lobby and lots of guest services and details.

I stayed at the second floor facing the interior atrium, not noisy at all.
NOT all the rooms face this atrium, just half of them, the other half is enclosed in hallways.

Went to the Argenta Towers hotel to visit a friend staying there, you cant compare it with the Hilton in any aspect.

good Luck
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 01:52 PM

all these answers are straight up. iguazu is an awesome place, but be prepared for some cold, as we are going into winter. though the latitudes are warmer in misiones, you will experience some chill, especially with the splash from the falls along the walkways, or rafting down the rapids.
the hilton buenos aires, where the film 'nueve reinas' was filmed (currently being remade in the US) is thoroughly modern, catering mostly to business travelers. it is well-situated, in the unique urban/natural surroundings of the regentrified area of Puerto Madero, however, be careful when venturing out to the nature reserves.
remember to bring warm clothes!
ciao, ds
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Daniesza, I am also very interested in your comments about warm clothing for Iguazu. We are leaving NZ in 2 weeks and will be in Iguazu the first week. We are really into Winter here, heavy frosts and I am wondering how cold you think it will be in Iguazu. We are doing the boat trip and see from films that we will get soaked and can imagine that to be cold. Our clothes will also be wet. Are you meaning Thermals or just some warm outer clothing.
Interested in your thoughts.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 06:05 AM

I just got back from Iguazu....and the weather is much warmer than in Buenos Aires....short sleeves during the middle of the day and long sleeves and a light jacket at night were fine.

Regarding the boat ride...I wore shorts and a tshirt and purchased a plastic raincoat for 7 pesos in the gift shop at the entrance to the park.....I also took a bag and put my shoes in the bag and wrapped it in plastic....I wore sandals on the boat itself.....try to go on the boat ride in mid day when it is warmer.

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Thankyou drdawggy, very helpful information. It looks as tho we are doing the boat trip after lunch. Thanks for the tip about the plastic bag to put your gear and shoes in. Looking forward to it.