CAVE SNORKELING

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAVE SNORKELING

Xcaret & Xel-ha offer snorkeling in their caves,just how cold is the water in those caves? Is it uncomfortably cold? Heard that there are barely any fish there, so is the experience worth it at all?
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 11:00 AM

bettie, we went to Xcaret and Xel-ha in late May a few years ago. The water temp was not an issue at all. However, as you say, I don't think we saw 3 fish at all in the cave in Xcaret, so if you're looking to see something in a cave, that is definately not a reason to go there. We did, however, enjoy the rest of our day in Xcaret. For Xel-ha, I don't remember any caves to snorkel, but we absolutely LOVED the place. There were thousands and thousands of fish (from tiny to HUGE), and we had a great time there.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 04:35 PM
mlw

Was just at Xel-Ha last month; there is a cave to swim into. Not too large, just neat to go into for the experience. When you get in there there is an opening in the "ceiling" where sunlight comes in, and they take your photo, which is available for purchase at the end of your stay at the park. We saw quite a few fish at Xel-Ha, including large fish. There is fish food available, free, around the lagoon, and the fish seemed to congregate anywhere there were people. We enjoyed Xel-Ha and could have spent the whole day there, except we had to leave at 2pm with our tour to Tulum. Glad we did both though.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 09:33 PM

Would you recommend one place over the other (Xcaret vs. Xel-ha) if a person was only doing one day trip?

Mariann
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 09:10 AM

There are two underground rivers in Xcaret, one visit the Mayan town section, and the other one pass into a Cenote(sinkhole). But it's true, barely any fish in the tow rivers. There's also a new atraction: Paradise River for those who doesn't want to get wet, on a wood boat.

If I have to choose, for me, take Xcaret, for the Acuarium, the butterflies, flamingos, and the nigth show.

Some pictures from the Paradise River here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/136578763BqfpgE
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:21 PM

Thanks carribeanguy, my kids love those other things and will appreciate the variety.