please, help with itenerary ASAP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on the verge to cancell our airfare to argentina, because i am having a very hard time to put a trip together. Could somebody help with suggestions? We are going to arrive to BA very late on December 20. probably need to spend first night somewhere in the city. We planed to go next day to puerto madryn area for 2 nights to go to valdes and punto tomb, 3 nights in bariloche area and one or 2 nights at the falls. we planed to spent the rest in BA and depart on january 2. it seems to late to put it all together at reasonable price. I contacted several agencies who were recommended on this board, but prices are prohibitive, 3 daus in bariloche $ 500 US per person seems way too high, same for the other areas. whith those prices we would be able to visit only one area, but where to go? We are seasoned travelers(mostly to Europe), who visited switzerland and canadian rockies, as well as alasca's glaciers, not very much into sport or beach and will have 15 y old teen, who is not much into anything anymore( so way too much and not very athletic) Please, help me. i am desperate. Thank you very very much
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 09:38 AM

try putting your destination in the post title
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 09:54 AM

The trip you envisioned would look like this?:

Dec. 20 Arrive BA late/overnight.
Dec. 21/22. Puerto Madryn (2 nights)
Dec. 23/25. Bariloche (3 nights)
Dec. 26/27. Iguazu (2 nights)
Dec. 28/Jan.1 BA (5 nights)
Depart Jan.2

Christmas is a high season for travel, hence the high prices I suppose. Iguazu and Patagonia are at opposite ends of the country, so distances are great and this probably complicates travel as well...

Since you have toured glaciers and mountains (the Canadian Rockies are spectacular!), I would suggest that you consider sandwiching an overnight trip to Iguazu in between stays in Buenos Airs.....and use Buenos Aires as a base for taking day trips and for exploring the city....This approach would cut your costs considerably, and there are many fun things to do in/around BsAs.....

A trip to an estancia for the day or overnight....a ferry ride across the Rio del Plata to historic Colonia, Uruguay, a Tango show in San Telmo, etc.

Here is a web site by a group of historians who organize a number of fascinating tours in and around Buenos Aires...Jewish Buenos Aires or The Forgotten Buenos Aires (barrios tourists don't visit), etc.....
http://www.eternautas.com/

I'm not sure if they work directly with individuals or only through hotels and travel agencies...but it will give you an idea of the variety of possiblities....

And since you have a teen son, be sure and do the boat ride under the falls and the rapelling/ropes excursions while you are there.....Sure to bring a smile to the face of even the most surly teenager (Hormones...what's a parent to do!!!)......
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

thank you for advice, it seems that it is too late to put it together at reasonable price, all airfare now very expensive, in this circumstences, what one or 2 places you will choose? is it possible to arrenge all this when we arrive at BA at the last minute? I do not want to pay just for 3 nights in Bariliche $500 US per person, or almost the same for 2 nights at the falls not even in sheraton. Thank you
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:47 AM

These are prices for 3 people:

Beautiful cabins all furnished with very good taste,in front of the lake, comfortable and well equipped are u$s 60 the night. there are places where you can have breakfast and half board included for a little more.

There are hotels in Iguazu that charge you 50 u$s with half board they have private bathroom and swimming pool and they are in the city

New places have opened in Puerto Piramides Peninsula de Valdes with very affordable prices.

There are hotels in Buenos Aires where 3 people can stay in 2 rooms with breakfast and a swimming pool for 75 u$s the night.

It is a matter of patience and luck to find the right place for your budget.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:38 AM

Again, my suggestion is to stay in Buenos Aires and explore the city and vicinity, but in the middle choose one location and go for it.....

If you want to go to Iguazu, Here is a link to river-front cabins. They will easily house three people, and the price is quite reasonable.

http://www.suparacataratas.com.ar/

Tours and airport transport can be arranged by the hotel. the day guy speaks English. The night staff do not.

For the lakes region, if Bariloche is too expensive...try San Martin de Los Andes.....here is a link that provides information about lodging.San Martin is on the lake, is smaller and less touristy than Bariloche. Chiminea is a good choice for lodging....but I am not sure about accomodations for three....
If you go there, you can take various excursions for very little money....a tour of the lake by boat...horseback riding, etc.

http://www.interpatagonia.com/sanmar...jamientos.html

For air, You can go to Southern Winds web site to purchase tickets. www.sw.ar, or use a travel agent.

In Buenos Aires check www.octopustravel.com for the dates you need. You will find lots of hotels in your price range.

Or contact LoiSuites http://www.loisuites.com.ar/index.htm

The LoiSuites on Esmeralda and Arenales are reasonably priced.

The group I mentioned in my last email does specialized, interesting tours...somewhat more expensive than large group tours, but not a great deal more....and with much more personalized service.http://www.eternautas.com/

If you want to go to an estancia for the day, http://www.donsilvano.com/. Rates are something like $18dollar per person, plus transportation.

A trip to historic Colonia Uruguay can be set up direct by Buquebus.....
http://www.buquebus.com/argentina/home.htm

If you don't want to do these things yourself, use one of the travel agents in Buenos Aires. They can set up your whole trip, except Supara cottages....I think you need to work direct with them for good rates.

Good luck

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much for your information. Just got a quote from the agency: just two days in puerto madryn with airport transfer, 2 nights hotel, half day tour to valdes and all day tour to punto tombo; 3 nights in Bariloche with the transfer, excursion to short circute and lakes Blest anbd Frias, airfare between BA madryn bariloche and Back to BA___$760 US per person, seems too high to me. They said that no flight to Falls exist from December 20 till January 2. Shoud I just buy airfare form BA to Madryn, bariloche and back to BA from this agency($330 Us per person airfare cost) and arrange land tour myself? do you think to use overnight bus between Madryn and Bariloche is not a good idea? what about overnight bus to the falls? Worth the hassle? Thise prices seems negate our free(for miles) airfare to BA. sorry, for all those questions, but because it will cost us only $50 to deposit back our miles I still could cancell the trip. Seems it make sence to see the higlights of the country, but because of the timing it is very difficult to do. Did anybody had experience to buy last minute air tickets to the falls while in BA? thank you very much
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 07:52 AM

there is always a possibility to buy a air ticket for the falls, most probable the executive ones. anyway the bus is not that bad if it is the only trip you will bus. it takes the whole night and a bit more but you will rest comfortably.
good luck