12 days for visiting Argentina, what do you suggest?

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 days for visiting Argentina, what do you suggest?

My husband and I are on our early thirties and will be visiting Argentina for the first time. We have 12 days but we can't decide between these 2 tours:
1. Five nights in Buenos Aires, 2 nights in Iguazú and 3 nights in Bariloche
2. Three nights in Santiago, lake crossing to Argentina, 2 nights in Bariloche and 5 nights in Buenos Aires.

We are planning to go in late November. What do you suggest?
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:44 AM

I vote for Nš1, but I'm an Argentine and therefore biased in favor of my country.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 09:02 AM

I would vote #1, but we are doing all:
six nights in Buenos Aires; 3 in Iguazu; 1 each in Bariloche and Puerto Varas after X'ing the Andes; 3 nights at Hacienda los Lingues and 2 nights in Santiago.
The clockwise route saves AR/CL entrance and exit fees.
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 09:05 AM

So far, ours is all Buenos Aires with a day to Colonia and maybe a day on an estancia.
But I like your #1
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 09:17 AM

This article may help you decide whether or not to include the Falls in your itinerary. http://tinyurl.com/jsd9a
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 05:41 PM

The article on Iguazu is from fall of 2005 so the current water level is much different than the article relates since it is the lowest in 30 years. It is still worth seeing (and hearing) in my opinion! Also would suggest the Salta area if you like Spanish history, mountains, quaint villages with wonderful markets, and a very different life style from Buenos Aires. Food, wine, hotels, and shopping are even cheaper in the north. It is a beautiful part of Argentina that many visitors miss. Of your 2 choices, I would favor 1.

There is so much to do in either Argentina or Chile, save Santiago and Chile for another trip since there is more to Chile than that large city too. The beaches, mountains and history in Chile could easily fill 12 days.

Argentina now has the advantage of a better exchange rate so enjoy it at a bargain while the exchange rate is so favorable! You will wish you had more time to spend in either country!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

How far is Salta from Buenos Aires? Is it a day tour?
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 03:13 AM

Based on several of our own trips to BA, see as many tango shows as possible (focusing mainly on intimate theaters and restaurants) ... and learn about the history of Arg. tango ... fundamentally different from the international and US "versions." By the way, when we were in Istanbul and Prague recently, we enjoyed hearing tango music in numerous locations. I think I even heard one song in Marco Polo airport in Venice. Enjoy BA ... great city!!!! Ciao.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:51 AM

Hi, first, I vote for itinerary #1, it will give you a nice feel for AR. In Bariloche, you may take a day trip on the lakes. We did the crossing from Chile - AR, but were on a 17 day trip, which gave us the extra time.

Salta is not a day tour, it deserves at least 4-6 days to fully appreciate the area.

Have fun.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:42 AM

As above, Salta is not a day trip from BA. To enjoy the area you would need 4 days at least, but it is so beautiful and different from BA to me it is worth the time. Salta is a hour and half or so flight from BA.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:17 AM

Argentina is a very large and varied country with a lot to see. You cannot possibly see and enjoy very much if you try to go to too many places. I think that Buenos Aires (5 nights) and Iguazu (2 nights are a good plan but I suspect that having only 3 nights in Bariloche will be a taste and will inspire you to return.

We have been to Argentina 3 times so far and have only managed to see a fraction of the country:

1. Flew to Mendoza and took 2 side trips of 3-4 days each. One was north to Valle Fertil to visit Parques Talampaya and Ishigualasto and the other south to Malargue as a gateway to visit Parque Payunia (AMAZING). Of course we spent several days in Mendoza too, visiting wineries. This trip was 12 days.

2. Went to Salta and took 2 side trips in addition to enjoying the Salta region. One north to Quebrada de Huamahuaca towns and Iruya for 6 days and the other south to Cache and Cafayete for 5 days. We spent 17 days on this trip.

3. Buenos Aires and Iguazu: Spend one night on the Brazilian side visiting the falls and the bird park and another night with a day and a half on the Argentine side. Buenos Aires and its surrounding areas can be a week trip on its own since there is a lot to see and do.

Don't try to see and do too many areas in Argentina on the same trip. You will definitely want to return again and again so why rush it.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:32 PM

Dear Mary: Salta is worth to be visited. 4 or 5 days will be enought to have an idea of the area. I suggest one day tour to Cafayate. Two days for the NOrthern area which includes the Humahuaaca Gorge and the Salt Flats staying one night in Purmamarca. A place you will love! Take one day for the city. It is a beautiful town.
Flinstones
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:47 PM

Just in case you needed it, here's another vote for plan #1. Santiago is a nice city, but you'll get enough of city life in BA. Iguazu is completely different, and unlike anything you can see elsewhere.
Buen Viaje!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot to everyone for your suggestions. I'm very surprised. At this moment everyone has told me to choose #1. My option #2 was mostly for the lake crossing that I've heard is beautiful. So in your opinion, are the Iguazú falls more beautiful than the lake crossing from Chile to Argentina?
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:46 AM

Well, you said 1 or 2. At that time of the year, I would alter Nš1, skipping Iguazú and doing the lake crossing, adding days in our South.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:04 AM

It all depends on what you like. BA is a big walking city with shopping. Igauzu is not to be missed (wonders of the world). Salta has a lot of history, we have hired a guide Angelica for 4 days (our 1st time with a guide)and Bariloche (lakes). We've been to New Zealand and from these posts everyone says it's about the same. Patagonia is another world. Walking on glaciers-we did this in New Zealand but not to the extent, so what type of adventure do you want. It takes time to fly in Argentina, You always have to return to BA for connections, so think of that. Good luck. Alana
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Argentina is a very large and varied country with a lot to see. I suggest Buenos Aires (3 nights), Iguazu (2 nights are a good plan but in Bariloche I suggest you 4 or 5 nights. South of Argentine is too beautifull for a couple of days. If you want I can planning your trip with rates, but I'd need that you say me when do you think to travel to my country?.
You can visit my website and write an e-mail.
Best regards,
www.ezensitive.com

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Buenos Aires is a fantastic city well worth the time to explore it. I second the people who have recommended Salta. Be sure to see the museum on the main square. It is the finest small museum I've ever seen. It depicts an Inca burial of children in a most sensitive fashion. Outstanding cultural context. Don't know your budget, but a couple nights at the Papyrus in Salta, a small inn, is worth it. Take in the folk music bars especially La Vieja Estacion on Belcarce just below the train station. Such enthusiasm! Book travel, especially air, using an Argentine agent and save on prices charged foreigners.
Travel agent: argentinago.com
Housing in BA: ApartmentsBA.com. Ask for #7A at 1976 Las Heras. Fantastic at $110 per night! You'll never stay in a hotel again.
Touring in the NW: Movitrack (take the big truck not the Oxybus)
I'm insanely jealous.
Mike
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Whoops, forgot. You have to fly to Iguazu. You'll be tempted to stay at a less expensive hotel some distance from the falls. Don't. Stay at the falls and save on time and cab fares (expensive at Iguazu, but not in BA). Fly in early one day and leave late the next. Not to be missed!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 05:33 PM

The MAAM museum in Salta is a must if you go to Salta. The Inca history and articles from the mountain sacrificial burial site are fascinating and awesome. It is closed on Mondays. The Hotel Salta is conveniently located right on the square with the museum. It was a comfortable, quiet room and the location was convenient for walking to many delicious restuarants as well as the churchs, money exchanges, shopping etc. Can recommend an excellent TA in Salta if interested.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -