Search

Playa Del Carmen?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playa Del Carmen?

Going in April with 3 friends, and we're looking for good times. We're debating about booking an AI vs. a hotel in town. I'm looking for opinions on Playa maya, La Tortuga and Viva Wyndham Maya. We are going to have fun, enjoy PDC, and relax. Help us out, PDC experts!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:02 PM

You'll probably get as many different answers as people reply, but here goes.

I have an anti-all-inclusive bias. The concept is truly beyond me when you're in an area with so many excellent and inexpensive restaurants. The exception to the above would be if you can get a package deal that includes air and hotel for a really good price. Sometimes from here in the midwest I find that I can book the package for less than a regular airline ticket. However, the hotels never seem to be where I want to be, so I've never done it.

We just returned from a four night stay at La Tortuga today (actually, we should have been home last night, but that's an airline story). We enjoyed our stay there. The web site pictures are fairly accurate. Pool is small, but clean and well landscaped. Breakfast was good. Rates were very good.

Our friends stayed at Playa Maya (in fact, they're still there). It looks like a great hotel, and is right on the beach. But, we were at the end of a two week trip, and were looking to save a little money. Playa Maya does have some rooms the same price as La Tortuga, but I don't think they have balconies or private patios, which happen to be a 'must' for us.

We had some wonderful meals, many very cheap. We're beer drinkers, if you're into fruity, tropical drinks, the costs will certainly go up.

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 10:53 AM

Have stayed at the Royal Hideaway and it is simply the best AI in Playa (much nicer then the ones you mentioned)

Try a few days in Tulum also. Lots of fun, different atmosphere best beaches.

I recommend Las Ranitas(www.lasreaitas.com)and if you do stay make sure you get to Hechizo at Rancho San Eric (five star restaurant right on the beach) (email at [email protected]
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 01:05 PM

JeanH, I'm going in a couple months and we leaning towards the Playa but i was liking the swim up room idea at La Tortuga. What rate did you pay? how much of a walk is it to Playa?
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:07 PM

We didn't have a swim up room, but they looked interesting. It's a small hotel, with a small pool, but nicely done. We paid $85.00, including tax and breakfast for a king room with a balcony. It's less than a 10 minute walk from there to the Playa Maya hotel and probably only about five minutes if you want to simply head straight to the beach.