Small Non-AI Hotel in Playa del Carmen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites! DH and I have just figured out a way to sneak into Playa del Carmen for a few days. We were in Playa about 5 years ago and loved it. I will do my research share but I'd like some first hand recommendations, these are our preferences:

- First and foremost: not all inclusive
- We dislike big resorts and prefer cozy and quaint, romantic is a plus
- Under $100 per night (yes, we are cheap and prefer to spend our money on food and drink)
- We are NOT party people
- We do not need luxury amenities or spas (obvious at under $100)
- Can be off the main drag but not so far that transportation is required (we will not be renting a car)
- Rooms should be quiet in the evening
- Free WiFi is preferred
- Association with a beach club, Mamita's or something similar would be good

Thanks in advance to all!
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM

www.laspalapas.com

my fav there they run fourth night free specials

that might get u close to your budget

paid like $100/nt for the room when there last

sea view got some discounts as I recall.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:53 AM

Luna Blue
Luna Sol
La Tortuga
Riviera del Sol
Playa Maya
Mahekal - partial AI
Mosquito Blue

Not sure of the prices but they will vary with your dates anyway.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:55 AM

There are dozens of places that fir your description. Posada Mariposa is one we really liked. Hotel Banana was another fun place. There are both in the north end of town (nicer beach, quieter neighborhood), about 2 blocks from the water.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 01:09 PM
KVR

We stayed at Playa Palms this past December. It was small and quaint and sits on a very nice section of beach. No resturant or bar on site, which we didn't care for, but just a 5 minute walk to 5th Avenue. Great location.

We had orginally wanted to stay at the Makehal Beach resort, but booked too late and was sold out. Even though it's a little farther off 5th Avenue, we would have probably liked the semi AI there for breakfast if anything.

2nd choice would have been La Tortuga, but only in the summer months when it's warm enough to use the pool.

Check out Loco Gringo for additional info on accomendations.

http://www.locogringo.com/dynamic/lo...cfm?area=Playa del Carmen&type=Hotel/Resort
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks do
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm...weird posting! Thanks for the great suggestions.
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 11:59 AM

For that price range, my favorite is Quinta Palmera with only 6 rooms all with jacuzzi tubs and laptops. I like to use www.cancun.com and set the results price low to high to see the NON-AI hotels.

Mimi del Mar (on beach),Aventura Mexicana, Posada Mariposa and many more good choices in for less than $100.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 07:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks so much for this thread! PcD is on my to-do list if I can ever tear myself away from Puerto Vallarta. My hotel list is pretty much exactly yours, although my room price even cheaper (lol) like $50-75.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 09:13 AM

In low season, it's possible to find hotels in the $50-$75 price range. Mom's hotel to Mimi del Mar and many that don't have websites but offer basic rooms for less than $50.

Be sure to wander OFF 5th Ave for tastier and cheaper food.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 04:03 PM
KVR

"Be sure to wander OFF 5th Ave for tastier and cheaper food."

I absolutely agree as we ate mainly on 5th Avenue this past December and did not find many great restaurants. The AI's that we have stayed at prior had better tasting food.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, and thanks! The LocoGringo people are recommending Hotel Illusion. Any feedback on that one?

I will wander off the 5th as we are adventurous eaters, any suggestions as to where to go? It will only be for 4 nights so opportunities for good meals will be limited. Please!
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 09:15 AM

I stayed at Hotel Illusion in May of this yr. Did not like it. It is pricey for what you get, compared to other PDC hotels in that same area. Most annoying is that the area where you are to eat their breakfast (which is not good, basically coffee, toast and 1 galss of juice) and where the computer is (right next to bfast area) is outdoors but in the interior of the bldg. and gets absolutely no air flow. That area, and the elevator, are absoltely unbearably hot. I could not get internet reception in the rm., and I dreaded having to use that computer as I would sweat profusely the entire time.

The man who runs the desk during the day is nice, but the lady in the evening is not good. The water for the whole bldg. went out one evening and she basically told me to deal with it til the next day. I kept complaining (REALLY needed a shower and got tired of no flush in toilet) and she finally moved me to another room on the roof, but then that room's water went out a few hrs later.

The pool is small and about 2 ft deep, no kidding.

I would highly recommend El Cielo, the hotel next to Carboncita's on Calle 4, just past 5th Ave on the right. When I was there in May, it was pay for 3 nights and get the 4th night free. I asked for a quiet rm. and I got a lovely huge room w/great AC, mexican tilework, ceiling fan, good TV reception, for $55! And 4th night free was a great deal. Also got a 50% discount on breakfast at canboncitas and 10% discount on other meals there. Carboncitas has really good inexpensive food. You don't specify a pool, and there is not one at El Cielo. That was the only drawback I can think of at that hotel. Otherwise, I woudl look no further. The desk people are very friendly and helpful there also.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 09:23 AM

Our favorite place to eat in Playa is La Pesca, a quiet little seafood place on 30th ave across the street from the Mega store. Great food, friendly service, nice atmosphere.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 10:13 AM

El Cielo is one straight, short block down to a very nice part of the beach. And one block in the other direction is 10th Ave w/good restaurants. And Wal-Mart is close by for stuff for your room, a short walk.

Try La Terraya, at Calle 2 and the beach, on the left. It is the oldest restaurant in Playa. You sit with your feet in the sand (or on the patio), under palm trees, and have fresh fist caught that day, ceviche, shrimp dishes, etc. Very inexpensive- fish dishes w/rice, beans, tortillas, ships and sacue are about $5-6. Mostly locals in this place. Mostly a lunch or afternoon spot. They open at noon and close at 9 pm sharp.

Fusions on the beachfront has a nice dinner, nothing to write home about but you are on the sand w/candles and live music every night of the wk, and the food is good, drinks are better. Very moderately prices. I get the caesar salad and the thai shrimp appetizer for about $16 total and a cosmo for $8 and I am happy, listening to the live raggae music and then watching the belly dancer and fire eater perform.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks emd3!