Search

PDC hotels- help me choose

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PDC hotels- help me choose

Okay its down to La Tortuga, Sangri la Caribe, Playa Maya and Riu Tequila.

Our priorities are pool, room, beach, food, and nightlife in that order. I envision relaxing at the pool, mojito in hand and then having a nice comfortable (perhaps romantic room) to return to at night. Am better with the AI at RIU or one of the smaller hotels? We just can't decide - so any insights based on previous experiences are appreciated.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 01:44 PM

I don't stay at all-inclusives, don't care for buffets, and don't care for beer that doesn't come in a bottle.

We stayed at La Tortuga a couple years ago. Nice room, cute little balcony, pool was small, but very nice. However, it isn't on the beach, but only a couple blocks away.

Shangri-la Caribe is on a beautiful beach, but I think dinner is included in their rates, and would probably be wasted on me. I like being in town, wandering around, findng a place to eat when we get hungry.

I've not stayed at Playa Maya, but that will be my choice if we ever return to Playa del Carmen. Great bar/restaurant right on the beach. Nice people, great views.

By the way, best mojitos we found were at Babe's.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 01:10 PM
gdy

You have a nice view of the ocean from the pool at Shangri la Caribe. And it's on the best beach in the area.I haven't tried their food. The rooms are in Palapa covered buildings, which you may or may not consider romantic. I'm guessing that it would be more relaxing there than at the pools of the other hotels you mention. The night life starts about about 6-8 blocks away and continues for another mile or so.
Playa Maya has very nice rooms with a pool that is small, as is La Tortuga's pool. The Playa Maya restaurant has excellent food too. And it's in a great location for night life, as is La Tortuga.
I have photos of all of the hotels that I can share if you're interested. Just send me an email at [email protected].
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Of those, I have only stayed at Playa Maya (twice).

I decided to pass on Shangri La because I read (a lot of) reviews that said the management and staff were surly.

I have also seen the hotel and felt it was overpriced.

Playa Maya has a great location, wonderful staff and very good food.

The pool is very small though, so if that is your number one priority, I don't know that I'd recommend it.

The rooms are nice (and spotlessly clean) but not particularly luxurious.

For beach, food and nightlife (great location), I feel Playa Maya can't be beat.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Iza

We stayed at Shangri la Caribe in August for a week and found it to be extremely relaxing. We had one of the beach front bungalows and spent countless hours just relaxing on the porch. If you are looking for a laid back, quiet atmosphere, Shanri la will definitely provide it. When we walked past the AIs in the town, there seemed to be a lot of activities going on at the properties (and many more people). Shangri la includes breakfast and dinner in their prices. Their breakfasts were excellent and dinner was pretty good as well and we enjoyed the convenience of having the food right there. Their room prices are fairly reasonable and I wouldn't hesitate to skip dinner a couple of times and have dinner in town instead, if I felt like it.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 01:16 PM

Yes I will second Diana's comment re the pool: was already thinking that upon reading that it was at the top of your priority list! Don't get me wrong -- I like it -- but it's not a reason to come here!

Also glad to hear we weren't surly to you, Diana!

Steve
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Never, Steve. gt;

You've got the best staff on the beach!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:17 PM

We stayed at the Riu Palace in July and loved it! The beach in Playacar is fantastic! The resorts in Playacar are going to be much nicer with bigger pools than anything in downtown PDC.
HOWEVER, we went back in August and stayed downtown at Playa Maya and enjoyed it just as much! But it is a small and intimate environment--of course, that's part of its charm. If you want to see some recent beach pix of Playa Maya, go to Playainfo.com to the 8th street thread. I loved being able to eat at all of the great restaurants downtown.
If a large pool and a more luxurious room are your top two priorities, the Riu Tequila would probably be more to your liking. You can always go downtown for a dinner or lunch while you're there.
For our July trip, I wanted a really nice room and pool and enjoyed it. But after having that, I was able to really enjoy the flavor of downtown PDC and for a LOT less money!