La Tortuga Hotel - Playa Del Carmen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Small group of 40 year old (really fun) ladies traveling to Mexico for a girls getaway. We are considering staying at La Tortuga in Playa Del Carmen. Can anyone share if this is a decent place? I'm wary of its 2 strar rating, but Trip Advisor people review it well.

Also, anyone been to the beach clubs they are affiliated with? Mamita? What's it like?

Thanks!!
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 10:25 AM

I've stayed at La Tortuga, but it's been a few years. I wouldn't be concerned with the star ratings, they tend to be based on the number of amenities more than the cleanliness/attractiveness of the property.

We enjoyed our stay, great location, nice pool, at that time breakfast was included (don't know if it still is).

I have been to Mamita's, but didn't stay. We were just wandering by. It was ok, sort of crowded, but not unbearable.

I'm lazy, usually just find a place with chairs and umbrellas closer to La Tortuga, rather than hike the 20 minutes or so to Mamitas.

I don't spend much time in Playa any more, but if I did, I'd certainly consider La Tortuga again.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 11:30 AM
KVR

We've been looking at this hotel. Like the lazy river pool, but advised for Nov./Dec. it might be to cool too enjoy. They do include a full breakfast. The hotel is within walking distance to 5th Avenue for many resturants, shops, entertainment. There is a strip of beach clubs in that area. The last time we were there was a couple of years ago. We stayed at the Royal Playa del Carmen. Loved the location. The beach was nice, but the water cloudy and rough. It can get a little crowded. Prices for food and drink are decent. We're partcially looking at this hotel for the pool, it's adults only and much cheaper than and adults only AI'a in that area. We would probably not even venture to the beach. Instead, would take a snorkleing trip out to Akumal.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM

La Tortuga is a very nice hotel and has a great attached restaurant. It depends on how long you want to walk to the beach. It's located on 10th Ave which is 3 blocks from the beach. Mamitas is ok with lots of loungers and palapas, I prefer Kool which is right next door. Just like their chairs better. The Avenues run in multiples of 5 so from the beach and heading west you have 1st, 5th (which is the pedestrian road through town), 10th, 15, 20th, etc. It will take you about 10 min or so to walk to Mamitas because it is both east and north of La Tortuga.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 08:59 AM

I've been to Mamitas while I was staying a hotel that wasn't very far from it -- I chose that hotel on purpose to be close to the beach. Also, I had been there before right in the middle of PDC and wanted something different for a change. The place I stayed at was nice, it was Riviera del Sol.
http://www.rivieradelsol.com/

They have a pool, also, which was nice enough but I mainly went to the beach. I think a lot of these hotels, their rating and people's opinions really depends on what you are expecting and what you call "nice", and your experience with Mexican hotels. YOu have to get a 4-5* hotel in Mexico to get anything I'd call really "nice". The Riviera del Sol was okay for me, the people were nice, and the location great, but the room was really kind of like a budget motel in the US. At least the AC worked pretty well, and it had a decent bathroom.

Frankly, I don't think the beaches in PDC are really that great. I just expected more having been to some other places with nicer beaches and beach amenities. I mean, the water is fine and the sand, but it's just bare sand,k there are no palapas or anything,k it's not that comfortable -- and the beach isn't that wide. Now at Mamitas, you pay a bit to get a chair and if you are lucky, you get an umbrella, but it is public so pretty crowded and not really a great resort atmosphere compared to what I had elsewhere. It's pretty much just like a public beach as far as I'm concerned. Now colokid above claims Mamitas has palapas, but I sure don't remember any. If so, maybe there weren't very many or you had to be someone special. I don't see any on their website, either.

A lot of places in Mexico are obsessed with this stupid bed on the beach thing, it looks like they've caught that bug.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM

Tortuga is very higly rated by regular visitors to the area for good reason. The grounds are beautiful and it is very well maintained. It is not the Ritz however, but makes no claims to be. I've stayed there myself as have a lot of folks I know personally and many of them are repeat customers.

It is a great option if you want something non-AI and enjoy what Playa does best IMO.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Mamitas does have quite a few palapas as well as beds and umbrellas as does Kool. There are also restaurants at both beach clubs and pools. Looking forward to Mamitas at the end of November and Riviera Maya Jazz Fest.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 05:39 AM

Tortuga is a great hotel! You will have a great time on girls only trip. Pick a standard plus. They have a balcony that overlooks the pool so it's fun and quiet at night [some exterior rooms might have noise from bars].

They have happy hour every afternoon and the pool is great for hanging. Breakfast is great and food in PDC is yummy and cheap. El Fogon is so good and cheap.

Take a day trip to Tulum to see the amazing beaches.

If you're staying a week, you may consider a condo. We're going this summer [my BFF and I] and are renting a condo for $800 total!

Have Fun.
Trish
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 05:45 AM

Forgot to add about Tortuga... it is consistently #1 or 2 on tripadvisor.com.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 11:17 AM

La Tortuga really is a great hotel! It's a small boutique hotel, so it's very different than larger all inclusives. However, it's just beautiful and unique. A small hidden garden in the middle of Playa. Mamita's is a good walk from the hotel, but if you plan on spending the day at the beach then it's worth it.
Beth
http://www.riviera-maya-hotels.com
http://www.riviera-maya-hotels.com/la-tortuga.html
http://www.riviera-maya-hotels.com/m...each-club.html