Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Oaxaca - where are the great/good airfares?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been checking for a couple of months on airfares to Oaxaca for the first week in June from Denver, thru Mexico City. They've been around $500 - $550. I've checked the usual consolidators (travelocity, expedia, orbitz, bestfares.com, etc.) as well as Mexicana and Continental directly. Anyone know of even air/hotel packages or seen any great/good airfares?? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 02:35 PM

That's a pretty good price. We flew from Durango, CO to Denver to LAX to OAX last Nov.and it ran in the $700's (Orbitz: Flying out of a small airport really adds $$, but we did it for convenience.) I think Oaxaca is just a bit further south, and not such a popular destination, and that really seems to "up" the price. I've read that there is good bus service from Mexico City to Oaxaca, and maybe just a DIA-Mexico City stint would be significantly cheaper. Anyway, Oaxaca is definiteiy worth it!! Have fun!
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 03:14 PM

Try site59.com. They have last minute packages and others.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 04:53 AM

The fares you are finding are good ones. The problem is the short flight from Mexico City to Oaxaca is what really adds to the cost. If you want to save money and are willing, fly roundtrip to Mexico City then bus the six hours to Oaxaca. Look on the bright side- 15 years ago the best fare to Oaxaca I could get out of Billings Montana was $1200.00. I now routinely go from Houston in the $400-$600.00 range.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:01 AM

I would look into good fares to Mexico City and then the bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca. I really enjoy the buses in Mexico--ADO offers both first class and ADO-GL(luxury or lujo service which has lots of legroom and free refreshments) You can find schedules and prices at www.ticketbus.com.mx. (I would suggest the service from the huge "TAPO" station in Mexico City)
Hope this helps!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:29 AM

I would add one more thing to Robert's comments if you are interested. UNO is the top of the line bus service that departs from Tapo to Oaxaca. It is very nice. Try uno.com.mx it also links to ticketbus.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Wow! That really seems like a great airfare. I have been taking students to Oaxaca for 5 years and our tickets continue to rise to the mid $700 range. I go through a travel agent and there never seems to be any breaks. One more question to the group; is there a seperate departure tax for Oaxaca? It seems that I always wind up paying an extra $14 per student when we leave. Is this the norm?
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:19 AM

SrFlojo- The prices really depend where you are leaving from. I have taken kids to Oaxaca and it has been well worth our while to drive 8 hours to Houston. If you are close to a city served by Aeromexico or Mexicana you will probably get the best deals. If this is the case call the airline itself and ask for the group reservation desk and see what they can do for you. As to the departure tax there is one for Mexico. There is no sperate tax for Oaxaca. This tax is normally included in the airfare. I have never paid the tax seperately except when using tickets issued on frequent flyer miles as they are not, then, included.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 06:08 AM

Great comments from Dude! And, I would agree that UNO is the best of the buses--I was just sticking with the more mid-priced lines. You will also find UNO listed on the ticketbus website with the TAPO services.