Reload this Page >

Need some help choosing resorts- Playa Del Carmen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Martina

We are planning a trip to PDC next winter. Been browsing through some travel books. These are some of the choices we have come up with,no particular order:<BR><BR>Club Viva Maya<BR>Club Viva Azteca<BR>Riu Playacar<BR>Gala Resort Playacar<BR>Porto Real<BR>Allegro Resort Playacar<BR><BR>Most of the price ranges are $1850-2100 Canadian- one week, including airfare. Plus there are early booking bonuses and the travel agency will take off an additional 6-10 percent. 3 of us going, 2 of them seniors.<BR>We are looking for a place that is clean, food is good, beach is nice, swimmable. What about snorkelling? We will likely head over to Cozumel or Xel-Ha for that. Heard that the beach in front of Porto Real is rocky, nicer part 2-3 minute walk away. Most of the reviews seem to be positive about all of these places. We would like to be 5-10 min taxi ride from town. Would appreciate some opinions- both good and bad.Thanks!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Jenn

We stayed at the Continental Plaza with a package with Funjet/Funtours, don't remember exactly, hotel only package and loved it. It was about 85-100 a night. It was close to walk to all the downtown Playa restauratns, etc. also very close to the ferry to Cozueml. We never took it because we were very busy with side trips, etc. Haven't seen these other properties so can't say.<BR><BR>Jenn

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Jason

RIU PALACE, not RIU Playcar, is very nice and would probably be perfect for you. Don't know air fare from Canada. Riu Playacar may be nice, but Palace is the upscale Riu resort in PDC

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Diane

Recent comments on the www.playaguide.com discussion board have been quite negative for Allegro Playacar...rundown, neglected, etc. I'd stay clear of that one. I stayed at Club Viva Maya several years ago and it was nice but quite small...still very nice and excellent Italian Food (this is an Italian owned resort). For seniors, this might be a good choice because it isn't far to walk to anything on the resort. However...the last few years, there have been complaints on and off about beach erosion in the Playacar area in general. You'd be wise to check reviews for specific comments about that. Try www.caribbeanopinion.com or www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com or www.cancunandrivieramaya.com for reviews. Also, snorkelling in any of the Playacar resorts will be extremely poor....nothing to see.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 03:11 AM
peggy

I agree with the post of staying away from Allegro. We were there 2 months ago. The grounds were very pretty, buffets fine-the Italian restaurant actually very good. The rooms were bad. Water stained bathrooms, bugs, etc. There are too many good places in pdc that you don't need to settle on crappy rooms.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 04:41 AM
pat

You wont find a nicer hotel than the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal. It has a nice beach, fabulous pools, delicious food and the grounds are breathtaking. What more could you want.It is like paradise on earth. We are going for the 2nd time later on this year.If you need any more info feel free to mail me.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 05:02 AM
barbara

although gala is very very nice, if you are not going with kids, it may not be the place for you. heavy emphasis on families there -- had I not been there with my daughters, I would not have been overly pleased. definitely would go for Riu Palace if it had been only myself and my husband

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Stephen Schulz

Recently returned from Playa del Carmen, Playacar area, and the Allegro's beach is virtually nonexistant compared to many of the other resorts. I would never consider the Allegro in PDC.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Martina

Thank you everyone for your help! I will check out those websites. I found the Riu Palace in one of the books- looks very nice! Will also check into the other suggestions. Thank you.