Reload this Page >

California Othon Hotel -- Yea or Nay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Niccole

I am scheduled to visit Rio in about five weeks. My travel agent has booked me at the California Othon -- is this a mistake? Great decision? Has anyone stayed there before?

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Dondiega

Well I stayed there years ago, it's in a decent location right on ave Atlantica and I believe next door to the Mariott with a nice Cafe next door. Not a bad choice, I would think a better choice than the Oceana which you posted previously just because of the location. Are you getting a good rate?

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Niccole

Yes, the rate appears to be very good. But as I stated in the previous message, I was very weary of the hotel choices being offered to me since I have never been to South America and have no idea what to expect from a 4-star hotel. What are your thoughts on why some hotels are designated 4-star vs. 5-star? What should I expect? Could you compare 4-star hotels (or just this hotel) to a chain in the USA?

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Dondiega

Niccole, thats a good question and I would answer it this way that a 4 star hotel in Rio would be a very nice hotel but not luxury and less amenities, such as no pool . Now I have been to Rio many times and if they rate the California 4 star then I would recommend 2 other 4 star hotels that would be nicer and recenlty renovated. They are the Luxor Regente and the Miramar Palace. Both in Copacabana both in prime spots on the beach and both really nice for 4 star hotels, nicer than the California. I haven't stayed in the California in years but if they haven't fixed it up it was old then and would need it. I know for a fact that the 2 hotels I mentioned are renovated. Or take a look at the Orla hotel it is brand new on Copacabana right next to the Rio Palace. Chances are your travel agent hasn't been to this hotel take a look at this website and you can see some pictures of the hotels I mentioned and the California www.blameitonrio4travel.com. Don't get me wrong you will be ok in the California, the Othon chain is ok, it won't be dirty or anything it would be just fine, its not a bad choice.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 12:28 AM
dk

Dear Niccole, I stayed at the California Othon two years ago. I was staying in Rio for one week but booked the Cal Othon for 2 days. Couldn't stay longer because a tour group took all the rooms. The hotel wasn't renovated and the rooms were furnished in dark wood. The lighting was similarly dark and it was a bit depressing. The whole hotel impressed me this way despite the very friendly and helpful staff. Perhaps a male may not mind the dim suroundings of the Cal Othon but I would recommend a more cheerful decor for a woman especially if she is travelling alone. Dondiega is right. The website she recommended, I believe, has photos of the rooms and hotels in general if I remember correctly. The Luxor hotel chain is great. The Luxor Regente is probably from $30 to $50 more per room than the Othon depending on room and season of course. As a matter of fact I ended up staying at the Luxor Copacabana, next door to the Othon. It is comparable in price to the Othon but the rooms are much more cheerfully decorated in brighter colors. The staff is also very helpful and friendly. The hotels restaurant is a bit more expensive than the comparable restaurants on the street but its smaller size and street level view to the beach made it an intimate and elegant place to just have a quiet cup of coffee, away from the hustle and bustle of the street. The Luxor Copacabana is about the same price as the Cal Othon. The Marriot is next door to the Luxor but I can't comment because it was still being erected at that time. The Luxor Regente is in Copa but also much closer to Ipanema than the Luxor Copa. I was considering staying at the Regente in August due to their having a gym, which neither the Othon or the L. Copa had. I now recall that the L. Copa had mostly male tourists staying there. It wouldn't be intimidating in any way to a woman and is and feels totally safe and comfortable but I thought I'd just mention it. I would suggest that you spend as much as budget would allow for your accomodations, for though you may not spend much time in your room, especially in a beautiful city like Rio, coming into a comfortable hotel room after a long day of sightseeing is priceless. Boa Viagem!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:42 AM
dk

One thing that I also needed to mention, Niccole, was that the California Othon, the Luxor Copacabana and from what I could tell, the Marrriot, are all fairly tall structures but very thin in width. And I mean very thin in width but set in deeper from the street. What the Luxor Copacabana has is one aisle per floor upon exiting the elevator. Rooms are on each side of the hallway. That is all that the hotels width can accomodate. The hallway lighting is bright and everything looks nice and new so it isn't really uncomfortable. It just has the dimensions that many hotels in Rio have. It also doesn't have a pool as many hotels lack in Rio. It seems that 4 stars in Brazil can run a fairly wide margin of standards. I am a middle class male from the San Fran Bay Area and would classify the California Othon as a 3 star establishment using US standards. The Luxor Copa would be a 3 1/2 star due to its small width and lack of pool. The Luxor Regente is a true 4 star when compared with US standards and with many of Rio's 5 star hotel's lush surroundings, number of bars and restaurants, maybe a garden, always a swimming pool. In Rio, I would at least stay in a Brazilian rated 4 star hotel for comfort and location. Sorry for the long windedness.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Niccole

Thanks DK for the candor -- I really do appreciate it!! I am going to try the California Othon and see how it goes.