Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

STRAND PALACE-DID I MAKE A HORRIBLE MISTAKE

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:45 PM
TERRY

MY WIFE AND I ARE GOING TO LONDON IN OCTOBER FOR OUR 25TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY. I RESEARCHED AND THOUGHT THAT THE STRAND PALACE HOTEL WOULD BE A GOOD CENTRAL LOCATIONAND MODERATLY PRICED. NOW, I AM BEING TOLD THAT THE HOTEL IS NO GOOD. PLEASE ADVISE.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Wayne

Terry---
The Strand Palace, as you know by now, is a huge (I think over 700 rooms) and somewhat tired old hotel. I think the sheer size of the hotel means you won't usually get the best service, but if you choose to keep your reservations there, don't hestitate to ask to see the room and then ask for another if you don't like it. I don't think the hotel is ever totally filled. It has a great location, which makes up for some of the more dumpy aspects of the hotel. And for the price and location, I still think it's a decent deal. The rooms are a bit smallish, but again they are clean and it's not a bad place to stay. It just isn't posh, and it doesn't seem to come up to some people's standards of acceptability.

If you want to spend a bit more, there are many other hotels in the same general area. You can find them on many web sites; try londontown.com. Also try travelbritain.org. You can also continue to peruse this forum and ask about other hotels you find that seem to meet your criteria. good luck.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Lori

Terry,
I would not say the hotel is no good, but like the last poster said it is a very large hotel, 600-700 rooms. I've been in the lobby and the only thing I can say about it is that the lobby smelled from cigerette smoke. The location is not bad, but I am sure you can do better hotel-wise. Personally I would not choose to stay there, but I would not say it is no good either.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Karen

I agree with the others, I would not stay there again...other than the location, I think you can do a whole lot better.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Nancy

This is only my opinion, and I did not stay at the Strand Hotel. However, I have stayed at other hotels in London-not 4 star luxury-but the Forum (a modern highrise) and the Tavistock (tourist-class). Both hotels I found to be charmless and plain awful. The Forum cost approx. $180/night last year and it doesn't matter that you pay alot, the rooms are not much larger than a tiny bedroom. The Tavistock was just terrible-old and decrepit rooms.

In general, I find that London hotels leave much to be desired even if you pay alot. I find that European hotels in France and Italy, for example, offer small and charming or large and plush hotels. You basically get what you pay for there.

Sorry, I didn't have anything to add about the Strand Hotel and I hope it does work out well for you both. I'm sure it's much better than the Tavistock and Forum.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:17 PM
John H

Terry,

Check out www.redcarnationhotels.com . They have 5 wonderful properties in London and have great "special offers" (especially for weekends).

Happy travels.

John H.