Hotels in Rio

Nov 4th, 2002, 05:48 PM
erbutler

Hotels in Rio

I need a hotel recommendation for Rio. On a previous visit I stayed at the trocadero othon--absolutely disgusting--filthy. Then I stayed at the marriott--gorgeous--way too expensive. Can anyone recommend something in the middle.

Nov 5th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Don

Hi, 2 hotels 4 stars in the middle are: The Luxor Regente and the Miramar Palace hotel, great hotels in the $100 - $120 range. Also a notch down 3 star at about $50 a day is the Hotel Debret at www.debret.com. You can also see many pictures on www.blameitonrio4travel.com. Also a very nice sort of new hotel is the Orla hotel about $50 - $75 a day you can see pictures on that website. All those hotels are on Copacabana and are beach front.

Nov 6th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Joaquim

To Liz, while the Debret is not a 5 star hotel like the Copacabana Palace, it is a fine hotel at the price. The Debret represents a tremendous value in Rio, its beach front, great breakfast included, the best staff in Rio and they have remodeled the hotel and still maintained that old world charm. The Meridian while it was once a 5 star hotel has gone down hill in recent years and I think may be classified as 4 star now. As far as meeting French tourists are concerned, I don't understand why anybody would want to fly 5,000 miles to Rio to meet people from France, sounds kind of a ridiculous recommendation when there are so many Cariocas to meet and have fun with the most friendliest people on earth. Liz, have you ever even been in the lobby of the Debret? Do you know what your talking about?

Nov 6th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Don

I just checked the rate for the Marriott on www.blameitonrio4travel.com, Bobby has the rate at $r426 Real which by todays rate comes out to be about US$115. Now thais rate can be somewhat outdated but I bet not by much. Thats a great rate for the Marriott, I guess if you book these hotel by places that post in the local currency then you will come out much better, if you look at the Marriott website then the room is $225 US a night, big difference.

Nov 7th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Rex

Ipanema Plaza Hotel. Upwards of $80 a night. That would get you a nice decent sized room with a double bed, ensuite with power shower, sat tv etc and maybe a sea view. If you were to spend $100-$150 you would get a sea view and maybe an even bigger room.

The hotel is almost one block from Ipanema beach and has a gym, roof top swimming pool, good buffet breakfast, upstairs cafe and good looking receptionists.

Nov 7th, 2002, 09:07 AM
erbutler

Don, Thanks for that info--I loved the marriot but could not believe the price this year--I paid $99 last year. I will try the website you recommended.

Nov 9th, 2002, 01:36 AM
BOBBY

Good morning from Rio,

You are correct the Othon was terrible and old. My favorit hotel in Copacabana is the Orla. It is beautiful, clean, spotless, the staff great. Located in the best part of Copacabana. I live here in Rio and I am from New York. I also own www.blameitonrio4travel.com take a look at the site and you will see many hotels but check the Orla first. You will love it. I booked my mother and father there and they had a great time. Pleas call me in Rio if you liek I will be glad to help you. 55 21 9698 9030.

Bobby