Reload this Page >

Need Help Deciding Where to Go in S.A.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Wanderlust Unresolved

Help. I'm having a hard time choosing where to go in S.A. for my two-week February escape from Canada's blustery, grey winter. My travel companion and I usually pick a destination that we can use as a starting and end point and branch out from there. <BR><BR>We are two single women in our early 40s and we're fairly adventurous. One of us is in great physical shape and up for anything and the other is in not-so-great shape. On the whole we like our trips to have a mix of adventure, unique cultures and lanscapes, and just a bit of time for relaxation in the sun too. While we're not budget travellers, we're somewhat limited by the low value of the Canadian dollar. <BR><BR>At first I was set on Argentina or Chile and going to Patagonia, but then I thought Ecuador might allow for a variety of excursions including the Galapagos and the Amazon at a slightly lower cost, but that was before I start reading up on Peru and Machu Picu. <BR><BR>Any suggestions? Recommendations?

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:12 AM
marta

The good thing about Argentina is the mix of adventure, culture, lanscapes and relaxation with a very sophisticated city, where you can enjoy the best night life, restaurants, atmosphere, and of course the best shopping at incredible cheap prices.<BR>IMO, the best choice is to spend 4/5 days in Buenos Aires, 3 in Iguazu Falls and 7 in Patagonia. That makes a perfect combination of experiences.<BR>Feel free to e-mail me for more info.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:01 AM
marta

I forgot, bear in mind that February is high season in most of the southern hemisphere.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 12:03 PM
paul

I have spent time in both Ecuador and Argentina in the past year, so I have some comparative reference. <BR><BR>re: cost--things change quickly in South America. I visited Ecuador in early June, 2002 and went to Argentina in August. I found costs in Buenos Aires to be lower than in Quito (just the opposite of my experiences a year earlier). <BR><BR>landscapes:There is no place on earth like the Galapagos, but there is no place on earth like Patagonia either!<BR> Tough choice. <BR><BR><BR>Cultures: The cultures could not be more different.....There are many indigines (what you call &quot;first peoples&quot; in Canada) in Ecuador, each with their own culture. The culture in Buenos Aires is decidedly more European, with a Latin twist. Quito is the emerging world...BA is cultured. <BR><BR>Sunshine: February is summer in Argentina (bring the lotion and sunglasses)...it's always spring in Quito. <BR><BR>Tough choices ahead for you....maybe a month long trip with multiple destinations? <BR><BR>fwiw, for this 50ish male Argentina wins hands down! Follow the itenerary Marta has laid out and you will have an incredible experience.........

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Dilermando

Something weird is happening. I have tried twice to post a reply, and it doesn't show alongside the others. An e-mail to [email protected] failed, displaying &quot;user unknown&quot;. So I ask the original message's author to send me an e-mail, so I will reply with my suggestions.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:18 PM
duke

I recommend Costa Rica. 7 distinct micro climates within 3 or4 hours driving time. Rain Forest,Cloud Forest ,Desert,Alpine. Volcanos,Beaches ,fantastic wildlife, River rafting and on and on . All in a very compact country!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Bill

<BR>I wonder if you have decided yet.<BR><BR>I spent 3 great days in Buenos Aires over the holidays and am already planning to go back at the end of this year. It was a great bargain.<BR><BR>I'm considering getting a Mercosur Airpass (see varig.com for info). For you trip, you could fly Buenos Aires- Santiago- Trelew- Buenos Aires. If you have to take a connecting flight (via EZE) to get to Trelew, then the pass would cost US$345. If you can get a nonstop from Santiago to Trelew, then the cost would drop to US$285.<BR><BR>Of course, the cost of the airpass would go a long way if you just stayed in Argentina.<BR><BR>For me the trip will probably be one week at a beach in Uruguay or Argentina. The other week, use an airpass to travel to Asuncion to see the city and visit Iguacu Falls (probably staying a night at the falls in Brazil, using my Brazil visa). That would be 2 or 3 nights in Asuncion/Iguasu). Then 2 or 3 nights in Santiao and another 2 or 3 nights in Buenos Aires.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Tomas

I have spent a lot of time traveling in South America and can can say without hesitation Chile offers the friendliest people, most variety of adventure and topography, and stablest economy and government of any in the continent. Rafting, horseback riding, trekking, mountains, desert, glaciers, beaches, Chile has it all.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:01 PM
edu

Go to Puerto Rico. You will enjoy nature walks through tropical rain forests and lunch at seaside bistros with plenty of fish and fruit. Walk through the old city, have dinner under the stars and meet other adventurous people who will make your stay lively and fun. Come visit the Puerto Ricans living in the green mountains of Jayuya, visit the petroglyphs and have asopao de gandules for lunch.<BR>If you still insist on going south, go straight to la Patagonia and spend the two weeks there, otherwise you'll need two more weeks off to recuperate from all the city-hopping and travelling. If you're running away from the cold, you want beaches and heat and forests and fresh fish with white wine at midnight.<BR>Have fun...