Riviera Maya

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:31 AM
cdl

Riviera Maya

I am thinking about going to Riviera Maya for my honeymoon. Does anyone have any places they can recommend as far as hotels and things to do?

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:41 AM
xxx

Royal Hideaway! $$$ but it is your honeymoon. Congratulations.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Cat

We just returned from a week at the Iberostar Tucan. Went there after much research. The place is beautiful, staff and service are wonderful. It is in a jungle setting, with resident flamingoes, tortoises, and monkeys, and paths winding through the trees. All food, drinks (not just the cheap stuff), and watersports included. It's a short $4 taxi ride to either Playa del Carmen or the ferry to Cozumel, for shoping, entertainment, or snorkeling. Also Apple and the hotel both have desks in the lobby to book all the usual day tours. I don't see how you could go wrong there -it would be dificult to not have a great time. It is not adults-only, but there were no kids running around. They keep them busy, away from the adults, most of the day. Although if you plan to go in Summer when the kids are out of school, you may want to choose an adults-only like the Hideaway. I would suggest doing a web search for opinions of the resorts you are considering. I found some very detailed ones with pictures which conveyed the feel of the place.
Have fun!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Janice

Aventura palace. I stayed the Nov2000 and loved it. I can imagine that the addition of Spa Palace has made it only better. More restaurants to choose from and more going on. Have a great trip

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Cathy

Totally agree with Cat. Iberostar Tucan was beautiful!!!

Another option is RUI Palace, which is next to Iberostar Tulum. My friends just returned and said it was "Top Shelf" - but more money.

The important factor here is the location of these properties. Perfect for shopping or heading over to Cozumel on the ferry. Plus, my husband said the diving in Cozumel was the best he has ever experiened and we were able to use the facilities at the Cozumel Iberostar for the dive package.

Good luck and congratulations.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 05:13 AM
pat

I agree with Cat and Cathy. Iberostar is a WONDERFUL place and in my opinion is hard to beat.Fantastic out of this world place ,people and food.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Jbro

We just returned from Adventura Spa Palace and I would highly recommend this resort for a honeymoon. You have full use of their other facilities and the food, service, etc was outstanding. I think an adult only resort is important for a honeymoon. We also were told Royal Hideaway is an awesome choice. Good luck and congrats

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Monica

If you wasn't interested in an all-inclusive, I recommend looking into this brand new hotel in Playa del Carmen, called the Playa Maya-on the beach, with a pool-only 20 rooms and they offer a honeymoon suite with a jacuzzi.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Jamie

We just returned from the Iberostar Quetzal (same as the Tucan) and we loved it. It was very romantic at night the way the walkways are lighted. Plenty to do, great food and drinks. The staff was so nice! There were some kids there but they didn't bother us at all.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 03:19 PM
nmm

Earlier this year I stayed at the Paradisus Riviera owned by the Sol Melia chain. Excellent all inclusive facility.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 12:21 PM
PJC

Help! Going to Mayan Palace, Maya Riviera. Anyone been there? What's to do? Area restaurants? Tranportation? Any info. Thanks

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:28 AM
cecelia

there are only two places I would consider

If you want an AI - only the Royal Hideaway will do

Non A1 - Maroma - this is a beautiful secluded little known resort. Travel Channel also named it the best beach in the world ( although while I would not agree it's the best beach - I think that would be in the South Pacific, it is gorgeous)

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:43 PM
thereuare

CEIBA DEL MAR!!

We went here for part of our honeymoon and which we planned the entire trip there!

Do a search for my review on this board.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 02:57 PM
alison

Stayed at Aventura Spa Palace and Royal Hideaway in the fall--both were great experiences but RH was EXCEPTIONAL!!! No comparison!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 06:06 PM
helen

Has anyone stayed at the RIU Playacar?We're considering this, having heard good things about it from our travel agent. What's the pros and cons?
Thanks!
H

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Laurie

From my research, Riu Playacar is an excellent value. Have heard to take candles or something to take a musty room odor away if it smells musty. Once the AC kicks in it that helps. I stayed at Porto Real and the AC circulating helps any odors.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Karen

Laurie,

Candles, that's why they had them in the room. Our room at Royal Hideaway had a very strong musty smell too. Had a hard time getting to sleep the first night, it was awful. Anyway, now I know why they had them in the room. Thanks!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Ron

My wife and I have stayed at several properties along the Riviera Maya. My son and I have also stayed in the area for SCUBA trips. The father/son thing is done with a beer and taco budget, while my wife and I do not shop by price. The all-new Playa Maya is a small, relatively inexpensive property that is very well managed. My wife and I were disappointed in the RIU -- their phillosophy seemed to be "what guest inconveniences can we get away with to improve profit". The food was trully unremarkable. The "adult" beverages were virtually all "brand knock-offs", and the air conditioning is controlled by the hotel -- be prepared to be HOT by about 2 AM. By contrast, the Iberostar was a wonderful experience. We stayed on the Quetzal side (more European, a little quieter). Although we are not normally the AI type, we were very pleased with the quality and service we received. For a really "funky" time, you should check out The Blue Parrot. It is in the heart of Playa, has a very active scene, and is just steps away from the famous 5th Avenue. At the Parrot you will likely be staying in a mini-condo. The pool is very small, but the location is great (for those looking to be near the action). If you stay at The Blue Parrot you should check out the Abyss Dive Shop (on the property). The shop is run by some really neat folks and their attitude toward dilivering the best experience possible comes through loud and clear. Without question the Royal Hideaway, the Avebtura properties, Moon Palace and Maroma are all excellent properties -- all are on the higher end of the price range for the Riviera Maya, but worth it. With all the choices available to you, based on my experience, there is no reason to stay at a RIU property.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Helen

Ohhh, sorry to hear about the RIU Playacar -we're already booked! Has anyone else had any good/bad RIU experiences?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Wendy

Our friends (couple in early 30's) just returned and absolutely loved it. I know someone else who was there last year. She is extremely picky and generally stays in more expensive hotels than the Riu. She did not have 1 negative thing to say.

Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information