Search

Need family vacation suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need family vacation suggestions!

Hi,

My husband and I are celebrating our 30th Anniversary this year, along with my 50th birthday and we plan to take along our 3 children. We haven't been together in quite awhile, with college, etc. so we are all looking forward to it. My daughters are 26 and 24, and my son is 20. My husband, 24 year old and son would enjoy any island with a nice beach, good food and friendly people. My 26 year old likes culture and excitement-she lives in Italy. I like both. We have been to the Bahamas three times, St. Martin (years ago), Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and to Bermuda on a recent cruise. Of the above, Bermuda was my favorite, followed by St. Martin. I liked the historic part of Puerto Rico, but not a fan of the island overall (had a bad experience). Enjoyed the Bahamas, but don't want to repeat that again. The Dominican Republic was a good deal, great AI, but nothing outside of the hotel complex. We are planning on 4-5 nights since we all work or have school. Thinking of Easter time or possibly July if Easter doesn't work out. Would have loved to visit Spain or Greek Isles but just not enought time for Europe. I was initially thinking about Puerto Vallarta, Mexico but am a bit concerned about getting sick (some of us have weak stomachs) We want a nice hotel, but nothing really super expensive. I remember that eating out on the islands can get expensive, so that is another concern.(good food is important). Not ruling out Bermuda again or a cruise. Any suggestions would be most helpful.
Thanks,
Denise
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not sure whether you'd enjoy it or not, but I would not rule out Puerto Vallarta because of worries about getting sick (I've been there 16 times in the past decade). Just drink bottled water and be reasonably coherent about what you eat & drink. One upside to Vallarta is all the wonderful restaurants, some expensive, some extremely reasonably priced.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh, and my other plug in favor of PV over some Mexican destinations (Cancun or Cabo) is that PV is not only a resort or artificially created destination. It is a living breathing Mexican city, that also hosts a full-range of tourist ammenities. It has a very 'authentic' feel to the downtown area.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

I am leaning towards Puerto Vallarta and trying to decide where to stay that won't break the budget but will also be close enough to downtown. I realize the beaches aren't the best, so a nice pool will suffice. Any suggestions? From everything I have read, PV seems to fit the bill. Do you or anyone have any input on Play Del Carmen? A travel agent is trying to steer me away from PV in favor of PDC. Not sure why?
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Definitely Puerto Vallarta over PDC. Although PDC is beautiful you mostly have fantastic beaches and Tourist made towns. Although PV is not an island, but a bay, you can go to a secluded beach by a Ponga Boat. The culture of this old fishing village has been invaded by Canadian and USA tourists. Still it retains its charm. For the different adventures your family likes, this is the place. There is something for everyone. The best part is staying in the Zona Romantic because you can walk to so many places, art galleries, the beach, the cobblestoned areas of the old town, the river cuale flea market, the malecon, and toooooo many fabulous restaurants. There is shopping galore on the Malecon in Centro (walking distance from Old town). There are quaint towns or isolated beaches that can be accessed by riding the bus for day trips. From November- April the Friendship club sponsors house tours which help the Children of PV and these are very interesting homes of the rich and sometimes famous. PDC by far takes second place to PV according to your description of what your family likes to do. Personally I did not find the Bahamas on a par with PV. Hope this helps. Just a reminder, April is a very busy month because of Easter in PV. Check with several travel agencies--you will not be dissappointed if you get a Condo on Los Muertos Beach. Shop for your perfect Condo. i.e. www.tropicasa.com (ask for Patricia) and [email protected] (ask for Wendy). Good Luck, let us know after you go.