How "rainy" so far in Costa Rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading to CR next month. I know that historically October is very rainy month in CR. Currently we have reservations on the Carribbean side (Puerto Viejo) since that area usually gets less rain that time of year.

We are thinking about switching to a hotel in Manuel Antonio (so we wont have as much driving to do from Arenal). Does anyone if the Pacific side is getting hit with a lot of rain in September or has it just been average?

Any info would be great!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 09:07 AM

It's been a very strange rainy season here so far. There was almost no rain in August. The first two weeks of September were downpours with flooding emergencies declared for the Central Pacific coast. Now it's mostly dry and hot again, but there are these brief sudden storms that come up in the afternoon with lots of thunder and lightning. They almost storms of the type that traditionally signal the transition between seasons. The forecast is for rains to become more steady beginning this weekend.

Here in San Jose at 11 a.m., the sun is shining, but it's very dark off in the distance. It's been that way every morning this week, but sometimes there is no rain at all in the afternoon. Usually this is the time of year when it rains all day, all night, day after day, and it isn't happening, at least so far.

I think the answer is: Who knows?
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 04:36 PM

I think, fkmich999, that it will not take you any longer to drive to PV than it will to drive to Manuel Antonio. Maybe even a tad less. Both are in the 6 hour range. I'd for sure stay with my plan to visit Puerto Viejo in October. If those rains do come, you can be sure Manuel Antonio will "more than likely" get its share!

"Who knows" is right, but you'll usually come out ahead going with the most likely scenario. One of the worst (and longest) rains I've ever encountered was in the dry northwest area of Guanacaste during the driest part of the dry season! Go figure!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

My decision is between staying at the Beach suite (Costa Rica Treehouse) and staying at the Gaia in Manuel Antonio.

I am afraid that we may have problems finding places open for business nearby (no rental car) while in Punta Uva. Its pretty isolated and I know some local businesses are only open certain days.
With Gaia, its total luxury and we will be pampered. But if it pours rain, what good will the pool do?!?!

Tough decision...
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:32 PM

fkmich999,
Yes, it is a tough decision. I'm a little curious why you think some of the businesses will be closed? That's never been our experience. Maybe during Christmas or Easter. . . .

We were there without a rental car (always before we've had one with us in PV) in July and found that it wasn't a problem. We rented bicycles and had a great time riding them. Also, we were able to get taxi rides a couple of times. The TreeHouse would, I think, be a fabulous place to stay. We've looked at it and would love to stay there sometime. Whatever you decide, do have a wonderful time.