Reload this Page >

Timing for Costa Rica Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Lenore

We want to go to Costa Rica for 8-10 days next spring. My first choice would be the beginning of April, but I may not be able to get that time approved from work. The middle of April is Easter, and we've heard it's a bad time to visit because it's such a huge holiday for the locals. So my second choice is the end of April. Then I realized by waiting just another week, we can get the lower "green season" rates which start May 1st. How much different will the weather (rain) be between early April, late April and early May? Also, will there be more families, and crowds in general, during one of these times? How do these dates compare overall, or doesn't it really matter much? Please advise!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Ally

I would wait until lower rates in May!<BR>The weather will no be THAT much different between early April and May. Just a tiny bit more chance of rain for May, as that is the BEGINNING of the 'green' or 'rainy' season.<BR>By far, the worst months are Sept./Oct.<BR>I've been to Costa Rica 7 times (making my 8th trip for New Years, yippee!) and of those 7 trips, 5 were in the 'green' season. We love it at that time because it IS cheaper, and there ARE less crowds! Even when we went to Osa Penisula and Manuel Antonio in Sept. we only saw rain in the afternoons, and it was quite refreshing as even in the green season it's HOT. All but one morning in our 2 weeks were bright and sunny. And if you want to stick to the Northwest area, you'll have even less of a chance of any rain. But where ever you decide, I would not let the 'green' season stop me!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Lenore

Thanks Ally! I figured there couldn't be too much of a difference, but I don't want to watch it rain either. Anybody else have any comments?

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 07:13 PM
David Cook

Ally is right, I've been in Aug and the rain is not that bad but the crowds are down as are the prices.It will be hot and humid at the beach areas but beautifully mild in the central valley around SJ. You can bargain a bit on hotel rates if you are staying longer than 1 nite. Good luck, you'll have fun!

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Rudy and Odette, Tamarindo

Usually April is the hottest month in our part of the country (Playa Tamarindo, Guanacaste)with hardly any wind, it's crowded and more expensive because of Semana Santa (Holy Week. Usually the rains here start somewhere mid May. Just in the late afternoon, not strong and not long (and because it's the start of the rainy season, it doesn't even rain every day), so don't worry too much about the rain. <BR>Have fun in Costa Rica.<BR>Rudy and Odette, www.geocities.com/casalaloma , www.geocities.com/travel_scuba<BR>