Search

Costa Rica in rainy season?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica in rainy season?

Hello -

I was hoping to plan a romantic getaway (a bit spur of the moment - last two weeks of August)...and had my heart set on Costa Rica when I realized that August is their wet season. How much of an impact will that have? Should we avoid it during that time and plan to visit another time?

If so - does anyone have a reccomendation on a spot with similar natural beauty, culture, and proximity (the shorter the flight from NY, the better - one of us needs a bit of coaxing to fly long distances...)

any advice is much appreciated.

amy

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 05:42 AM

Many, many people will tell you not to worry about the 'green' season, and in fact like it the best, including me. Of 9 trips to CR, I've been 6 or 7 in the 'green' season and just love it. It's less crowded and cheaper. The rainy season does not typically mean rain all day everyday. Yes, it will be 'wetter' in the highlands and cloud forest, but there is plenty of sun at the beaches. We even went to the Osa area in mid Sept and it was not that bad. It did rain every afternoon for an hour or two, and one night it rained SO hard all night long we thought we would slide right off the hill, but the next morning it was sunny and clear again, as it almost always is in the mornings and early afternoons. When the rains come in, about 3:00 or 4:00, it can be very romantic to sit under porch and just watch, and it cools everthing down. You'll still be able to get a tan, and as long as you plan your activities for the mornings, you should not have any problems. For the least amount of rain, stick the the North West beaches.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 07:02 AM
Iza

We visited CR 3 times, and all of our trips were in August. Rain is not a problem at all, especially on Nicoya Peninsula and in Guanacaste ( the North West, as Ally said) where we had plenty of sun and very little rain on all of our trips. You will have the advantage of visiting CR at its prettiest, with everything lush and green. Viewing the Arenal volcano in the rainy season may be hit or miss, but that should not stop you from going.

Costa Rica is great destination to visit from NY - the direct flight to San Jose is only a little bit over 5 hours. Definitely go!

Let us know if you need recommendations for beautiful romantic hotels in Costa Rica.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 09:19 AM

I just got back, and would definitely go during the rainy season again. (It was my first trip there.) It rained every day for a while, but usually for only an hour or two. I don't think I'd want to go during the high season when it's more crowded!
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 07:43 AM

I agree with everyone else who already replied. I've be to CR twice now, once in June (just got back) and once in November, the Green season is definitely a great time to be there. It'll rain, but it's no hinderance at all. Just for the sake of less crowds alone it is worth going then as well!
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 06:25 PM

Just got back from trip during the rainy season. Rain came late in the afternoon and was actually a welcome respite and excuse to slow day after day of site seeing. I live in the subtropics south Georgia where we've had a drought up until this summer. Climate during rainy season very similar to our normal climate during the summer with sunny mornings and midday and late afternoon rain. Great time of year to travel
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:02 AM

Hey ladies and gents! - Not to beat a dead horse, but we're planning a trip to CR for the middle through end of July. I'm fine with everything but my husband wants to know if that's the start of the rainy season, or if that's an August thing. As well, is it still the height of the tourist season? And do you have any recommendations for romantic hotels ( its our first anniversay ). We're also looking for fun things to do. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:41 AM

Iza, et. al.
I just checked AA and Continental:
Unless, I'm delusional (certainly possible) SJO is 4 hrs NS from DFW and 3 1/2 + from IAH.
M
PS Tropical rainy season is great.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:45 AM

Forgot to mention: if you are returning from SJO and have to clear customs at IAH in the late afternoon, be prepared to run miles or miss your connecting flight.
M
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:25 AM

Con lists the NS trip time EWR - SJO @ 5hr 10 min. Not too bad.
M