Puerto Vallarta / Nuevo Vallarta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking into a trip to Puerto Vallarta, and I am finding a lot of hotels which are in Nuevo Vallarta. Are these locations close to eachother? Which would you recommend?
We are looking for an area with some night life, shopping and beaches..
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Nuevo Vallarta is the "new" area north of the town of Puerto Vallarta. Nuevo Vallarta is where most of the mega resorts are located.

If you are looking to be within walking distance of nightlife, shops and restaurants stay in the Zona Romantica area of the town of PV.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:58 AM

rananda, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread. I am also looking into Puerto Vallarta. We were originally thinking of going to an all-inclusive in Playa del Carman but now are thinking about going to Puerto Vallarta and not doing an all-inclusive. We are looking at the Westin, the Sheraton or the Fiesta Americana. We have never been to Puerto Vallarta. I wanted to get opinions about PDC vs PV and thoughts on these hotels. Thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:42 AM

PdC has nicer beaches, clearer water and better snorkeling. There is more to do in the surrounding area of PdC than PV (Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Cozumel, Isla Mujeres).
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
While it's true the beaches/water are nicer on the Caribbean side, that's not the draw of Vallarta for those of us who love it dearly. It's about the Old Town, the welcoming local people, the lush jungles and mountains surrounding the Bay of Banderas, being part of a "real" working city, etc. While there are ruins on the Yucatan peninsula, I would not agree that that means there is "more to do" there. Plenty to see and do both in Puerto Vallarta, into the mountains, and both north and south along the coastline.

Nuevo Vallarta is the Cancun-style area out to the north of PV, depending exactly where you stay, could be anywhere from 30-45 mins. drive time into El Centro. You should stay there is you want a more high-end resort and don't plan to leave it... anyone else will likely be happier closer to town.

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM

PdC is nothing like Cancun, it is closer to the Zona Romantica in PV. There is a lovely pedestrian mall for shopping and restaurants in PdC.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:51 PM

RBCal, Are you referring to something I wrote? I said *Nuevo Vallarta* was Cancun-ish-style (I have never been to PdC and except for knowing the water and beaches are gorgeous on that side would never comment about it since I have no experience).
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great responses!
Nuevo Vallarta sounds fun.. I love Cancun so this sounds like a good option?
One more question - Is the snorkeling in this area okay? I have only been to the Carribean so I don't know what to expect from the Pacific side? Thanks again!!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM

it's not as good as the Caribbean
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Cabo is much more similar to Cancun than PV. It also has much better snorkeling than PV.

The water of PV is not very clear (not due to pollution but to the surf).

Personally I don't like either Cabo or Cancun. They seem more American than Mexican to me.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Going here end of Feb any kow if there is surfing??Any reccommdations on restaurants
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM

jmcjeanne-

the town of Sayulita, about one hour up the coast north is known for surfing.

Puerto Vallarta is fairly spread out and not a small city. Restaurants recommendations will be more useful to you once you know what part of town you'll be staying in (conchas chinas, old town, el centro, hotel zone, the marina, nuevo, etc.).