Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to drive from Monteverde to Manuel Antonio area for a short visit in our itinerary. Is this drive difficult? How many hours? Also, any advice on getting back to Liberia from Manuel Antonio? Is it drivable in one day? There doesn't seem to be a direct flight and we are worried that flying into San Jose might be too crowded and difficult to catch a flight out to Liberia. We are travelling during Christmas this year.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:34 PM

We drove from Manuel Antonio to Monteverde. It is about a 6-hour drive. But we broke up the drive with a stop at La Finca Que Ama near Turrubares.

The most difficult part of the drive is the part closer to Monteverde.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:06 AM

We did the drive in 3 hours and 15 minutes. One stop for gas. We did not get stuck behind any slow moving vehicles though. The worst part was leaving Monteverde (the first hour), but this road was better than the one entering Monteverde. After that road, it is paved two-lane highway the whole way.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:31 AM

Windy04, are you sure you don't mean it's a 3 hour drive from Monteverde to San Jose? I recall it's more like 5 or 6 hours from Monteverde to Manuel Antonio.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:52 AM

I'm positive. We just got back two weeks ago. But, of course, I wouldn't count on it always only taking 3 hours and change. We didn't have to wait at any of the single lane bridges, and we didn't get lost.

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Wendy, what route did you take from Monteverde to Manuel Antonio? Sounds like it was a good one.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:30 PM

We had a driver take us from MV to MA. It took a little over three hours with a stop at Tarcoles to view the crocs. However, our driver drove very fast...much faster than the speed limit. The drive from MV to the PanAmerican Highway was a little rough, but okay.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:58 AM

The route we took was as follows:

In Monteverde, take the road towards Guacamal and Sardinal (There is a sign at the edge of Santa Elena, near the frog pong and insect world.) This road is the "bad" road -- rocky, mountainous, but incredibly beautiful scenery.

Follow this road to the Pan American Highway. You'll know when you hit it, because it is the only major road around. Turn left.

Follow signs for Puntarenas initially. But you don't want to head all the way to Puntarenas. You'll eventually see signs for Orotino and Jaco. Follow these signs. This road follows the coast -- you'll go through all the beach towns.

We just followed signs to Quepos and Manuel Antonio. You have to go through Quepos to get to Manuel Antonio.

I am sorry if these directions are a little vague. It was difficult for me to accept these type of directions as well at first -- I like to have everything in order before arriving in a foreign country! The best advice I can give you for traveling is to have a good map and know the names of some of the towns you need to pass through. It also helps to know the names of some of the hotels in the area since they put up their own signs too.
What I did was take my map to the front desk when we were checking out of the current hotel and make them show me exactly which way to go. There are just not as many roads to take (like in the U.S.) and you really can't get lost for long.

Also -- we drove the speed limit the entire way, because I was incredibly paranoid about getting pulled over by the police and having to pay a fine.

Good luck and safe driving.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:27 PM

I'd plan on 4 to 4.5 hours to get to MA from Monteverde. I did the trip a few weeks ago. Watch for police speed traps within 5 or 6 km of either side of the Tarcoles bridge. They were there both times we passed there. I got stopped the first time through for going 90kph in a 60kph zone. (the speed limit varies alot so pay attention) I did not agree to pay the fine to the officer, but rather to take the ticket and pay later. Once he realized that I wasn't going to pay him the $40 fine, he let me go without a ticket. I guess I got lucky. Don't ever pay a ticket to the police.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 09:15 AM

I just saw your message and remembered the time I was in Costa Rica some time ago! I really enjoyed the stay, and I hope you will have a great time! Streets are not as good as in other countries, but you will reach everything, don't worry too much!
I passed a very nice hotel in the south of the pacific side near Uvita, it's south of Dominical!! There I stayed 5 days, because I really really liked it! The hotel's name is Cristall Ballena! So if you need any acommodation ... try it there!!!!